Interactive Conversation Interface

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.jellyvision.com/go.php?p=/ici/jp/&

I'm just curious what you may think of this methodology for designing an auditory based user interface. It sounds pretty solid to me. I'm guessing much of the basic principles are also applicable to GUIs. Do you think it would be functional to combine GUI with ICI for an OS?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    i think these things are a waste of time, even if it was possible to get it to work flawlessly, its just less effort to use a mouse.

Once you get past simple OS operations, using any application ala star-trek, it become far more effort to tell an application what to do over clicking on something.

besides - in a single user environment where it might be possible to do simple OS things by voice, would that really work in an office environment of 1000 people? would you want to be talking to your computer all day?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

i think these things are a waste of time, even if it was possible to get it to work flawlessly, its just less effort to use a mouse.

Once you get past simple OS operations, using any application ala star-trek, it become far more effort to tell an application what to do over clicking on something.

besides - in a single user environment where it might be possible to do simple OS things by voice, would that really work in an office environment of 1000 people? would you want to be talking to your computer all day?

MarcUK, I think your getting this confused with voice recognition. What this describes is an interface that responds to you audibly in manner that flows naturally and in a conversational tone. It then limits your choices for data input, yet is still comprehensive. They're adovocating a user interface that interacts with the user audibly that seems natural and allows the user to better navigate intuitivily and efficiently.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think we do need a new way to interact with computers but audio doesn't have much privacy. It's also limited to simple actions and even simple actions can go horribly wrong as you may have seen from the Vista voice recognition demo. I know you said that voice recognition is different but it really isn't. It still has to translate what you say into an action.

How would it improve on the speakable items in the system prefs > speakable items?