switch from speakers to headphones and back

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My fiance just bought me a great set of Bose Triport headphones. They sound great with my iPod and on my iBook, but I would like to set them up with my 24" iMac. The problem is that when I plug in the headphones, it mutes the speakers. This would be fine if I could select between the speakers or the headphones, but short of pulling the plug out, I can't seem to find a way in software to do it. Even though it seems in the sound system prefs that it wants to give me a list of all outputs from the mac. Only the headphones show up when plugged in, and only the internal speakers when they are unplugged. Isn't there some way to pick which one I want to use?

Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    There is no way of doing what you want in OS X that I know of. There may be other programs available that do allow this switching though. It's strange because you can switch between internal and external mic.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Thats kind of a bummer. Not that its a huge deal, but I hate to have to reach around to the back of this beast to plug in those headphones. Is anyone aware of a software solution I can add on?