well vista work with boot camp?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i was just wondering will windows vista work with boot camp? or has microsoft somehow blocked it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I've been using Vista with Boot Camp for months.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

o ok i just wasnt sure i thought i heard somewhere that microsoft wouldnt allow it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Really? I thought it didn't work for some reason? Or is it just that Microsoft doesn't WANT you to, but you CAN if you want to?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

o ok i just wasnt sure i thought i heard somewhere that microsoft wouldnt allow it.

Microsoft is restricting vista use as a guest of virtualization software (like parallels or vmware). Bootcamp is NOT a virtualization software, but only a partitionning tool and a set of (win32) drivers. So there is no "licence" term preventing you for using vista natively on your mac.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Does anyone know how bootcamp is able to use EFI on a BIOS based operating system? Is there some sort of emulation layer? Does it actually have any effect once Windows is booted up?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

Does anyone know how bootcamp is able to use EFI on a BIOS based operating system? Is there some sort of emulation layer? Does it actually have any effect once Windows is booted up?

AFAIK, the firmware for all Macs was updated to include bios support. Bootcamp only does partitioning and burning the CD. I know this because you can boot the Windows install CD without Bootcamp. There is no emulation and there is no effect on Windows booting. It functions just as well (or just as badly ) as on a PC.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

AFAIK, the firmware for all Macs was updated to include bios support. Bootcamp only does partitioning and burning the CD. I know this because you can boot the Windows install CD without Bootcamp. There is no emulation and there is no effect on Windows booting. It functions just as well (or just as badly ) as on a PC.

you mean to say that with out OSX and BootCamp we can load windoze now???
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

you mean to say that with out OSX and BootCamp we can load windoze now???

a mac without OSX? just windows?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

a mac without OSX? just windows?

thats is exatly my question are you answering or questioning?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sure, you could do that.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I have installed Vista on my MBP and when I tried to use the drivers from Windowze XP it did not work... are there drivers for Vista using Bootcamp?