Can't install Boot Camp-verification failed, Disk Utility won't repair

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to install the newest beta of Boot Camp. When I download and then install it it says for a few minutes it is partitioning the hard drive and then says "Disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed. Use disk utility to repair". I then go into Disk Utility and select the verify disk option and then it comes up with the error "Volume header needs minor repair. First Aid faild. Underlying task report failed on exit"

I'm relatively new to Mac and have no idea what to do. This is a month old system, a C2D macbook pro but do I possibly have a hard drive problem? Is there a way to fix it if so? I used partitions in the past successfully but was going to switch to Boot Camp which now works with partitions but I'm glad to go back to the standard partitions virtual drive but yet if it's a bigger problem anyway with the hard drive I want to fix it. Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I am trying to install the newest beta of Boot Camp. When I download and then install it it says for a few minutes it is partitioning the hard drive and then says "Disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed. Use disk utility to repair". I then go into Disk Utility and select the verify disk option and then it comes up with the error "Volume header needs minor repair. First Aid faild. Underlying task report failed on exit"

I'm relatively new to Mac and have no idea what to do. This is a month old system, a C2D macbook pro but do I possibly have a hard drive problem? Is there a way to fix it if so? I used partitions in the past successfully but was going to switch to Boot Camp which now works with partitions but I'm glad to go back to the standard partitions virtual drive but yet if it's a bigger problem anyway with the hard drive I want to fix it. Thank you in advance for any help.

I found the only way to fix this is boot into Single User Mode (hold Cmd + S at boot) and then type fsck -f and let it run. If you get a message at the end that say VOLUME HAS BEEN MODIFIED or something like that, run fsck -f again and with any luck the problem will be fixed. Also keep in mind if you're using Leopard that I kept running into problems that I can only attribute to the Boot Camp Assistant borking the FAT32 partition (I figured this out after three install attempts early this morning). Once you get to the windows install screen have it reformat your boot camp partition to either NTFS or FAT32. You should be golden now.