Can't boot mac after installing Boot Camp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I posted an earlier question about Boot Camp and fortunately got the help to fix it. Well now I went in to set up bootcamp. It rebooted my computer then to start a install of Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. Of course it asked to format the drive and I did do that with NTFS and made sure it was the new partition I created which was 28 gigs. Well for some reason during this my screen went black like my computer was not on. I had it plugged in so unless something was loose I'm sure the power didn't go dead.

Well now when I turn it on it gets to a grey screen with no writing, then a black screen, and simply says "Press any key to boot from CD" and I don't press anything and then it says "Missing operating system" I have tried pressing a key as well with no luck. The thing is even with the CD eject button I'm unable to remove the CD (windows xp) which is in the computer and what scares me is I can't even get into the Mac side. I'm completely locked out and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions? Would boot camp have somehow wiped my entire hard drive including the mac side?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    When you use Bootcamp, it sets the default startup to Windows. All you need to do is hold the option key (alt key) while booting to let you see the Mac and Windows partitions. When you see the Mac one, boot it up. Then go to system prefs > startup and select the Mac startup folder. This defaults to starting the Mac.

Are you trying to install Windows from an external drive btw? Due to Windows' extreme crappiness, you can't even boot the installer from an external firewire or USB drive.