Can import CD, but doesn't play correctly

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello! I'm fairly new to the iPod world. I've been trying to import my massive music library into my iPod, which has been pretty successful...that is, until I tried importing Foo Fighters' In Your Honor (double disc). Apparently, when i import it, it plays back as if it were playing in a CD player and skipping. When placed in various other CD players, it doesn't seem to skip at all. (The back is free of scratches, also.) The quality is terrible and there's no way that I can listen to something like that. Is there a way around this?

I have browsed the help section and it suggested I go to iTunes and do the following: Choose Edit > Preferences, then click the Advanced tab and click Importing. Check the box "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs".

I've tried both checking and unchecking the box to no avail.

I certainly don't feel that I should have to purchase the album from iTunes since I have already purchased the double disc set on CD.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    As a first suggestion, try to rip the CD to your computer using a program other than iTunes. Then once you've done this, just import the mp3s into iTunes. If this doesn't solve the problem, then try ripping the CD on a different computer. Check the tracks to see if they play properly, and if they do, transfer the music files to your computer using a usb drive (for instance, using your iPod in disk mode) and finally import them into iTunes. If neither of these work, then there is something wrong with your CD, and there may be nothing you can do about it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DutchessAlli View Post

Hello! I'm fairly new to the iPod world. I've been trying to import my massive music library into my iPod, which has been pretty successful...that is, until I tried importing Foo Fighters' In Your Honor (double disc). Apparently, when i import it, it plays back as if it were playing in a CD player and skipping. When placed in various other CD players, it doesn't seem to skip at all. (The back is free of scratches, also.) The quality is terrible and there's no way that I can listen to something like that. Is there a way around this?

I have browsed the help section and it suggested I go to iTunes and do the following: Choose Edit > Preferences, then click the Advanced tab and click Importing. Check the box "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs".

I've tried both checking and unchecking the box to no avail.

I certainly don't feel that I should have to purchase the album from iTunes since I have already purchased the double disc set on CD.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

That CD is copy protected-- there should have been a sticker on it saying so. The claim is that the copy protection prevents "unauthorized duplication" but in fact it prevents any satisfactory duplication at all-- even for perfectly legitimate uses.

Return the CD and raise hell. Do a search for "In your honor/Foo Fighters" for more info.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That CD is copy protected-- there should have been a sticker on it saying so. The claim is that the copy protection prevents "unauthorized duplication" but in fact it prevents any satisfactory duplication at all-- even for perfectly legitimate uses.

Return the CD and raise hell. Do a search for "In your honor/Foo Fighters" for more info.

To the previous post, I did rip it to my hard drive with the same results.

I believe you are right, it is copy-protected. How crappy. It's understandable, I guess. Although obviously none of my other Foo Fighter's CDs were.

Thanks for your help!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Really, you should return the CD and get your money back. The labels need to understand that consumers just aren't going to put up with this.

They put these copy protected CDs out in dribs and drabs, almost like they're trying to sneak them in and get people used to the idea, but if we just refuse to buy them (or take them back when we realize we've been shafted) they'll give it up. Always check for copy protection stickers and let the store owners know that you won't be buying those.

For what it's worth, most bands, including the Foo Fighters, think copy protection is a bad idea. Some of them even give hints for getting around it on their web sites. Further reading on the nature of the beast here.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If I hadn't bought the CD over a year ago, I would do just that. But I will, however, keep an eye out for copy-protected merchandise and spread the word to everyone I know.

Thanks for all of your help!
  • Reply 6 of 7
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Whoops. Still, there are ways around the copy protection (see my post above), not that I would ever encourage such a thing. But your use is totally legitimate, and Sony is preventing you from enjoying your legally purchased music in the manner you wish, which to me borders on the criminal.