Trouble with input mic

pripri
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

Merry XMAS to yall

I was trying to use SKYPE, but when I speak, it seems that the input device is not able to detect my voice, but I can hear their voice

I dont know why that is, I went to system preferences and tried sound, and input, and made sure its not on mute

still i get the same problem,

anyone know how I could solve this problem

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, just to be clear, you have selected "external mic" in the sound input preferences pane, and the mic level slider is at some reasonable level, say 50%, and the level meter shows response to talking into the mic?

If all of those things are true the sound is getting to your system and the problem is somewhere in the Skype software, possibly settings.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pripri Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So, just to be clear, you have selected "external mic" in the sound input preferences pane, and the mic level slider is at some reasonable level, say 50%, and the level meter shows response to talking into the mic?

If all of those things are true the sound is getting to your system and the problem is somewhere in the Skype software, possibly settings.

No, I have selected Internal Microphone

The level meter DOES NOT show any response to talking into the mic

My assumption of an mic is the two speaker thingies I see on both sides of my laptoop, i dont knoow if that is right or wrong

thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The mic is a small black dot in the center of the top screen surround.

You really should get some kind of response on the meter even if you are not talking directly into the mic, make sure the input level is turned up.

Do you have anything plugged into the sound input?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

The mic is a small black dot in the center of the top screen surround.

You really should get some kind of response on the meter even if you are not talking directly into the mic, make sure the input level is turned up.

Do you have anything plugged into the sound input?

wow that is the mic? its oon the top screen on the right, i always thot that was a random dot

I dont see any response on the meter at all

could it be that my mic has been destroyed
  • Reply 5 of 9
    What laptop are you using?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

What laptop are you using?

its the ibook G4
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Right, the G4 mic is on the right at the top.

If you have the level up and "internal mic" checked and "mute" is not on and you're not getting any reading on the meter then yeah, your mic may be hosed.

Try turning the input level all the way up and tapping the case lightly just to the side of the mic and see if you get anything.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Right, the G4 mic is on the right at the top.

If you have the level up and "internal mic" checked and "mute" is not on and you're not getting any reading on the meter then yeah, your mic may be hosed.

Try turning the input level all the way up and tapping the case lightly just to the side of the mic and see if you get anything.

nah, that doesnt help either, i tried all of thsoe

do u think it will help to have an external microphone or something attached
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I don't think the G4 iBook has an external audio input-- if it does then definitely try that.