I've managed to screw up my Pictures folder

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Help please. Not sure how this happened, by my "pictures" folder migrated out of the left-hand column on the window you get when clicking the hard drive, onto the desktop. It wont let me simply drag it back to the column. iPhoto still works fine, but this is a little weird and I'd like to get the folder back where it belongs. Anyone know how?

Also, somewhat related: on that left-hand column, there are two "Untitled CD" icons, from when a friend used my iBook to burn a couple of cds. Now I can't get rid of those icons - when I click them it says "The volume for "Untitled CD" cannot be found." Any idea how to fix this?

My system specs are in my signature if that helps. Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grimson View Post

Help please. Not sure how this happened, by my "pictures" folder migrated out of the left-hand column on the window you get when clicking the hard drive, onto the desktop. It wont let me simply drag it back to the column. iPhoto still works fine, but this is a little weird and I'd like to get the folder back where it belongs. Anyone know how?

Also, somewhat related: on that left-hand column, there are two "Untitled CD" icons, from when a friend used my iBook to burn a couple of cds. Now I can't get rid of those icons - when I click them it says "The volume for "Untitled CD" cannot be found." Any idea how to fix this?

My system specs are in my signature if that helps. Many thanks!

Well the Pictures folder is just a shortcut. But did you try a restart?

If you didn't, try it and see if the 2 Untitled CDs disappear, and try to drag the Pictures Folder back in.

If you did, then try the Eject Buttons next to the CDs Items is they are there to eject them from the Finder. Post the results.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Well the Pictures folder is just a shortcut. But did you try a restart?

If you didn't, try it and see if the 2 Untitled CDs disappear, and try to drag the Pictures Folder back in.

If you did, then try the Eject Buttons next to the CDs Items is they are there to eject them from the Finder. Post the results.

Sebastian

Thanks for the reply Sebastian.

I don't think I explained my problem very well. This happened with my folder several weeks ago, so I've done numerous restarts and it's still sitting on the desktop. I can drag the folder anywhere EXCEPT into the left-hand side column of the window that opens when you double-click the Macintosh HD icon. That's where the folder used to be.

As for the untitled cd icons, there is no eject button icons next to them. They are in the same column the pictures folder used to be in (along with things like Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, etc). They just say "untitled CD" next to the folder.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Everything in the left hand column of the Finder (the window that opens when you click the hard drive icon) are Aliases (Mac speak for shortcuts-- or rather shortcuts is Windows speak for Aliases).

That is, they aren't your folders proper, just pointers. Your actual Pictures folder lives at HD->Users->Your Account Name->Pictures. If you check I'll wager it's still there.

If not, drag the icon on the desktop to the "Your Account Name" folder. Either way, try dragging the Pictures folder directly from its place in the Users folder onto the side bar (the name of the left hand Finder column).

Also, try dragging the CD icons out of the sidebar-- they're likely to disappear when you release the mouse button, with a little puff of animated smoke, which is OS X's way of letting you know you've removed something in a non-destructive way. If that doesn't work, open Finder preferences, and under the Sidebar settings uncheck the "show removable media" button, restart, then recheck.