GarageBand keyboard half-tone transposing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm thinking of buying a piano keyboard to use with GarageBand. I'm deciding between the GarageKey and something from M-Audio. The M-Audio keyboards have lots of extra buttons and adjustments, most of which I'll probably never use, while the GarageKey is simple with just two buttons for shifting octaves up/down.

So, my question is: how many of the advanced buttons does GarageBand support? Specifically, can GarageBand understand the half-tone transposing commands coming from the keyboard? That is, can I transpose what I'm playing by less than an entire octave from an m-audio keyboard?

Do any of the other buttons work? Are they useful?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jms698 View Post

I'm thinking of buying a piano keyboard to use with GarageBand. I'm deciding between the GarageKey and something from M-Audio. The M-Audio keyboards have lots of extra buttons and adjustments, most of which I'll probably never use, while the GarageKey is simple with just two buttons for shifting octaves up/down.

So, my question is: how many of the advanced buttons does GarageBand support? Specifically, can GarageBand understand the half-tone transposing commands coming from the keyboard? That is, can I transpose what I'm playing by less than an entire octave from an m-audio keyboard?

Do any of the other buttons work? Are they useful?

Thanks for any help.

I just bought the m-audio 49e keyboard from an Apple Store. They had a nice display there were you could play with it. It connects with USB only and works *very* well. All of the "extra buttons and adjustments" work great with Garageband.

For me this keyboard is perfect. The one big thing I could see someone else really wanting would be weighted keys (which I believe is available in a different m-audio controller)