Which 30" monitor?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I folks. I'm ordering a 30" monitor today, but I'm not sure which one to get.

I WANT the Apple, but all I hear is horror stories?

I've heard nice things about the Dell?

Is there another option in the same price range?

PLEASE email me direct, as I'll be ordering something today or tomorrow (before the end of Tax season)

[email protected] - subject line: 30" monitor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    If size is more important than resolution you might look at the Westinghouse 1080p LCD TV

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234001

It's only 520 less lines of resolution than the Apple 30," but it's $800 cheaper after shipping and 7"s bigger. My dad just got one for his new TV. I hooked my Macbook up to it via one of its TWO DVI inputs. It looked phenomenal.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    The Dell 30" monitor is a fantastic device. Currently I purshase them for our surgery room suites where Doctors view MRI/CT/X-Ray images.

Very nice out of all the 30" I demo'd. I say you can't go wrong with this product.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    If the dell 30" is anything like the dell 24" then stay as far away as possible.

I bought the 24" expecting at least 'decency' but after 6 months i can honestly say it is the worst POS i've bought.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    hmm weird MarcUk, i've ordered roughly 30+ of the 24 inch monitors in other facilites and have not had one issue to date. I also order the 17" and 20". All together I say around 1500+ dell monitors. Knock on wood, not a single problem yet.

You must have got a lemon.

I stand by my statement. Great monitors.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

If the dell 30" is anything like the dell 24" then stay as far away as possible.

I bought the 24" expecting at least 'decency' but after 6 months i can honestly say it is the worst POS i've bought.

I have had the 24" Dell for a year or two, and it is great. Only problem is that one of my kids left a permanent scratch on it with a fingernail or something.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I have had the 24" Dell for a year or two, and it is great. Only problem is that one of my kids left a permanent scratch on it with a fingernail or something.

maybe you've got a good one, do you connect by DVI? The colour banding is terrible on mine (when connected by DVI), making it good for only looking at spreadsheats, which is something i dont do. Its not a creative persons monitor by any stretch of the imagination.

Incidently this goes away if i connect with the VGA port, but then it has issues synching with the signal and I get fuzzy text around parts of the screen.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

maybe you've got a good one, do you connect by DVI? The colour banding is terrible on mine (when connected by DVI), making it good for only looking at spreadsheats, which is something i dont do. Its not a creative persons monitor by any stretch of the imagination.

Incidently this goes away if i connect with the VGA port, but then it has issues synching with the signal and I get fuzzy text around parts of the screen.

I use DVI with no color banding - VGA was a bit fuzzy when I used it though.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

I use DVI with no.JPG[/img] color banding - VGA was a bit fuzzy when I used it though.

interesting!

can you put a smooth black to white gradient across the whole screen and it looks right?

What revision do you have?

I might be needing to call Dell and return this POS.

this is what i mean

• Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

interesting!

can you put a smooth black to white gradient across the whole screen and it looks right?

this is what i mean

Ewwww. That's shocking. I was going to get one of those.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

interesting!

this is what i mean

Is your problem the banding or the lack of gamma correction?

The gamma correction you can fix. You can either get Mac OS X, or you can drop a few hundred dollars (I guess half a few hundred pounds) on a calibration system like eye-one. You might also be using an improper working space, too.

The banding is a problem that happens on all LCD's: the contrast is greater and the pixels are sharper than CRT's, so that 24 bits of color just isn't enough anymore. The cheap way to fix that is to take whatever program that is to 16-bits per channel mode and apply a tiny amount of noise over everything.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

The banding is a problem that happens on all LCD's: the contrast is greater and the pixels are sharper than CRT's

I read that as you saying that LCDs have a better contrast ratio than CRTs, which would be quite off.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

interesting!

I can't find one in google image search or in the standard backgrounds. Where did you get yours?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

I can't find one in google image search or in the standard backgrounds. Where did you get yours?

well i made that particular one in canvas x, and also tried it in GIMP, same problem. You can do it in photoshop, and probably graphic convertor.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Is your problem the banding or the lack of gamma correction?

The gamma correction you can fix. You can either get Mac OS X, or you can drop a few hundred dollars (I guess half a few hundred pounds) on a calibration system like eye-one. You might also be using an improper working space, too.

The banding is a problem that happens on all LCD's: the contrast is greater and the pixels are sharper than CRT's, so that 24 bits of color just isn't enough anymore. The cheap way to fix that is to take whatever program that is to 16-bits per channel mode and apply a tiny amount of noise over everything.

the problem is banding, the gamma is quite fine. Well there's another thing, i had to tweak the graphics cards gamma, because there are no controls on the screen for doing it when using the DVI port, yet in VGA there is...

i know the photo looks a bit crap, its a crap camera...the gradient on screen actually looks worse than in the photo

I know banding is a problem on all LCD's, but I have a second LCD as a second monitor to the left of that, whats worse is that it is over 4 years old made by Philips and spanks this Dell on banding. Not only that, it is VGA input only and the picture is perfectly sharp, as good as any monitor connected by DVI.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

interesting!

this is what i mean

Sorry to resurrect this thread - but might be useful to some people.

The Dell banding problem is associated with the REV A02 model. - And fixed in the REV A03.

Anyone had experience with the new Gateway 24" FPD2485W? The US price seems good.

Can't seem to find it in the UK yet.

(The Apple 23" display is an outrageous $1500 in the UK!)

C.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Sorry to resurrect this thread - but might be useful to some people.

The Dell banding problem is associated with the REV A02 model. - And fixed in the REV A03.

Anyone had experience with the new Gateway 24" FPD2485W? The US price seems good.

Can't seem to find it in the UK yet.

(The Apple 23" display is an outrageous $1500 in the UK!)

C.

before I bought this POS, I did days of research on the dell, the banding was a problem on the A01 revision and reviews at the time (of the A02 model) said the problem has been fixed, - which was fine I thought - until I turned it on.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I read that as you saying that LCDs have a better contrast ratio than CRTs, which would be quite off.

Light Years off.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

before I bought this POS, I did days of research on the dell, the banding was a problem on the A01 revision and reviews at the time (of the A02 model) said the problem has been fixed, - which was fine I thought - until I turned it on.

My monitor is an A01 version, and there is no banding when I repeated your experiment. I used gimp to make a 1920x1200 gradient bitmap and set it as my background image. There is a very slight purple tint in the middle of the screen, so faint that I'm not sure if it is my imagination or not, but no banding like you had.