Help - which 30" monitor?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I folks. I'm ordering a 30" monitor today, but I'm not sure which one to get.



I WANT the Apple, but all I hear is horror stories?



I've heard nice things about the Dell?



Is there another option in the same price range?



PLEASE email me direct, as I'll be ordering something today or tomorrow (before the end of Tax season)



vze2rwkt@verizon.net - subject line: 30" monitor

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Like you I hear nothing but horror stories about the Apple's and never a bad thing about the Dell's.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    This is a repost of my reply from the GenDiscussion thread:



    If size is more important than resolution you might look at the Westinghouse 1080p LCD TV



    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234001



    It's only 520 less lines of resolution than the Apple 30," but it's $800 cheaper after shipping and 7"s bigger. My dad just got one for his new TV. I hooked my Macbook up to it via one of its TWO DVI inputs. It looked phenomenal.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post


    This is a repost of my reply from the GenDiscussion thread:



    If size is more important than resolution you might look at the Westinghouse 1080p LCD TV



    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889234001



    It's only 520 less lines of resolution than the Apple 30," but it's $800 cheaper after shipping and 7"s bigger. My dad just got one for his new TV. I hooked my Macbook up to it via one of its TWO DVI inputs. It looked phenomenal.



    Yeah, that's a GREAT idea if you want a display with a resolution of 61 PPI
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post


    I folks. I'm ordering a 30" monitor today, but I'm not sure which one to get.



    I WANT the Apple, but all I hear is horror stories?



    I've heard nice things about the Dell?



    Is there another option in the same price range?



    PLEASE email me direct, as I'll be ordering something today or tomorrow (before the end of Tax season)



    vze2rwkt@verizon.net - subject line: 30" monitor



    What horror stories have you heard about the Apple?



    The Apple has more even backlight, better build quality, better ports, and costs $600 more.



    If you're doing any work that needs to be color accurate, go for the Apple. If not, go for the Dell.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post


    Yeah, that's a GREAT idea if you want a display with a resolution of 61 PPI



    He wasn't very specific so that may be exactly what he wants. Perhaps he has bad eyesight. He asked for alternatives and I gave him one without being presumptuos enough to assume that I knew what he wanted



    In your defense, I have since learned that it's for graphic design so no, it probably isn't what he wants. However, from the question posted it could have been perfect for him.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TekMate View Post


    Like you I hear nothing but horror stories about the Apple's and never a bad thing about the Dell's.



    I've heard of several, the one that comes to mind the most is a high pitch whine on the backlight's inverter.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post


    He wasn't very specific so that may be exactly what he wants. Perhaps he has bad eyesight. He asked for alternatives and I gave him one without being presumptuos enough to assume that I knew what he wanted



    In your defense, I have since learned that it's for graphic design so no, it probably isn't what he wants. However, from the question posted it could have been perfect for him.



    I think I had that model. It's a nice TV but almost unmanageable for a monitor. It did work great with a Mac though.
Sign In or Register to comment.