do you know Project Builder / Interface Builder ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hey, I don't know anything about c or c+ or objc or whatever.

but I find that nice app, and think "hmm, I would like to change the interface of it"

and that is easy to do, bcs it comes under the GPL and has source code included. so I run off to PB and beginn to change the interface.

then, I run into the problem. I want that if you click on "Help", that it opens a document which is stored inside of the app.

how do I do this?

can someone give me step to step instructions ?

thanks

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm pretty sure you'll have to change more than just a NIB for that kind of functionality. This is way too general a request to give reliable directions for. You should at least name the app and explain exactly where this button is, what it currently does, what file you want it to open, how you want the file opened, etc.

By the way, just because something is GPL'd doesn't mean it's easy to change. I mean, heck, look at Mozilla!! That's one beast of an open-source program.

Anyway, this belongs in Software. Moving now....

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    alright, thanks for moving.

the app is <a href="http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen"; target="_blank">NewTen</a>.

it's an app for transferring .pkg's to the Newton under OS 10.

this is the original app:

here, a pic to show you how much I changed the app:

I've chosen the brushed metal look bcs it is an app that connects with other devices aka the Newton.

edit: i changed the window to be smaller now

that is the menu I want to have open a document:

The file I want to be opened it a simple read me, which is stored in the app.

It should be opened in TextEdit.

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I have to wonder why you'd want to make the app wider, taller, and with a status bar that goes to the edges. It's a horrible violation of Apple's user interface guidelines and seems like it's using up more screen space than it needs to.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know exactly how to do it, but I think making the help menu open a file in apple's help viewer system would be easiest. You probably just need to make an html file for it to open.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>I have to wonder why you'd want to make the app wider, taller, and with a status bar that goes to the edges.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll correct that. but for the status bar, look at iSync.

[quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>but I think making the help menu open a file in apple's help viewer system would be easiest. You probably just need to make an html file for it to open.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll try that.

thanks !
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rogue is quite right. That second picture looks grossly over-inflated and the super-wide progress bar just looks plain wrong. What about iSync? Pfft. You actually believe Apple follows its own guidelines? HA!! I can easily pick out a dozen places where Apple breaks its own rules. Regardless of what Apple DOES, you should still design as Apple SAYS.

If it isn't already enabled, you should really consider using the automatic snap guides that IB provides. In case you've turned them off, you can turn them back on by using the menu item:

Layout -&gt; Guides -&gt; Enable Aqua Guidelines

For specifics on the layout guidelines, see:

file:///Developer/Documentation/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/index.html

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>If it isn't already enabled, you should really consider using the automatic snap guides that IB provides. In case you've turned them off, you can turn them back on by using the menu item:

Layout -&gt; Guides -&gt; Enable Aqua Guidelines

</strong><hr></blockquote>

they're turned on. I'm compiling right now. Apps starts...and help doesn't work. yet.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'll wait for the response of the original developer, then.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Just add a new IBAction in Controller.m that calls [NSWorkspace openFile:fullPath withApplication:appName] to open the file in TextEdit, then hook up the new menu item to it in IB.

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: King Chung Huang ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 9
    thank you, but the developer responded, and I am now discussing it with him.

thanks !