Tyson in jail AGAIN...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
How many times is this guy gonna screw up?

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2713735

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Who cares?

Back in the 80's my high school friend opened a nightclub. His high school buddy Marvis Frazier (yeah, Joe's son) was in a boxing match on national TV and decided to hold a huge party in the nightclub. We all went down and the excitement was palpable. Marvis had his ass handed to him by Larry Holmes before, but this new challenger was a green newcomer...named Mike Tyson. Within seconds of the first round it was over. Tyson had charged into Frazier and with a mighty uppercut separated Frazier's head from his shoulders. The whole nightclub was in total stunned silence. Frazier's career as a boxer was over. And this Tyson fella was someone to watch for the next decade.

That's all I'll remember. Anything after that is not worth anyone's time.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Who cares?

Back in the 80's my high school friend opened a nightclub. His high school buddy Marvis Frazier (yeah, Joe's son) was in a boxing match on national TV and decided to hold a huge party in the nightclub. We all went down and the excitement was palpable. Marvis had his ass handed to him by Larry Holmes before, but this new challenger was a green newcomer...named Mike Tyson. Within seconds of the first round it was over. Tyson had charged into Frazier and with a mighty uppercut separated Frazier's head from his shoulders. The whole nightclub was in total stunned silence. Frazier's career as a boxer was over. And this Tyson fella was someone to watch for the next decade.

That's all I'll remember. Anything after that is not worth anyone's time.

I never really got to see him in his pure prime as a young boxer. All I have now is ESPN classic.

When he fought Marvis, did anyone know about Tyson yet? Or were the odds completely pointed towards Frazier?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I never really got to see him in his pure prime as a young boxer. All I have now is ESPN classic.

When he fought Marvis, did anyone know about Tyson yet? Or were the odds completely pointed towards Frazier?

No. Not a clue. I remember even the announcers were stunned. I'm talking seconds...5 seconds into the first round.

He was a fierce boxer. But he couldn't keep the rage in the ring. His moments in the ring are just memories now.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I was fortunate enough to grow up during Tysons reing as champ.

I remember him coming up and then totally destroying Tevor Berbick (the linear champ by beating ali). tyson knocked him out in 2 rounds. Then the way he knocked out Larry Holmes was amazing as Holmes has never been knocked out before or since.

People who know tysons today without having been around during his prime really missed out. He was the most exciting, most powerful and possible fastest heavyweight in history. not only that, but his great ability to take a punch assured his fans that he would not go down. The only thing that could beat tyson was tyson.

That all changed after he connected with don King and started fighting different. He did not train for one fight and buster Douglas beat him in 10 rounds. tyson came back, destroying the best challengers -- including alex "the destroyer" Stewart in one single round and breaking Razor Ruddocks jaw -- and looked ready to be champ again. Then he went to jail and came out half the figther he was. he was still good enough to be champ again, but anyone could tell he was no longer accurate with his punches and his stamina and ability to take a punch were obviously on the decline. He had trouble with Buster Mathis Jr. - a fat light punching heavyweight before finally catching up and ending the fight in the third round. Then he knokce out Frank Bruno in 3 rounds and looked like he was on track to regaining peak form. then he inexplicably fought Bruce seldon and won in the first round, but the fight looked fixed. In his next fight, Tyson came in weighing more than he ever had in his career, having trained for 4 weeks less than usual and was outclassed by Evander Holyfield. Tyson was still good enough to stun Holyfield a couple of times and withstand countless flush power puches from Holyfield, but by the late rounds, Tyson was breathing so hard that he could do nothing of significance except eat punches. Holyfield stopped Tysons in the 11th by TKO as tyson was still on his feet.

After that, Tyson became a sideshow. Nothing special anymore. he had lost the fire and he seemed like he did not care anymore. that is how most see him now.

There was a time when his future burned brighter than any boxer before him. how sad to see him now.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    He was/is certifiably insane.