finder uses larger percentage of cpu and trash unresponsive

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello everyone!

I have a question about MacOS X. For the past day, Finder has been using around 100% of my cpu (I have a core duo MB). This is obviously annoying because this makes the fans work harder. I can't seem to get Finder back the way it used to be.

It all started last night when I was downloading some widgets from the apple website. I didn't like them so I deleted them from Dashboard and from there they went to the trash can. I clicked empty the trash can and that's when it began. A small window opened with a bar in it and said that it was preparing to empty the trash. Nothing happened for the next 10-15 minutes, so I decided to put the computer to sleep. I woke it up the next morning and the little window was still there and Finder was still working hard. I restarted the computer twice and the same happened, Finder was still using 100+% cpu. The trash appears empty, but when I try to move something to the trash, like a document, the same window pops up saying it's being moved to the trash, but nothing happens. Also, all my ram is being used...all 2gb.

Can someone please help me and let me know what's going on with Finder? Thanks so much!

Comments