Bon Echo - Optimized Firefox for Intel/G4 macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I wonder what people think about Bon Echo (Optimized Firefox for Intel/G4) http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2.../26/firefox-20

I've being using it for a while now, it's very stable and fast. I mean a like safari but it doesn't do RSS feed like Firefox does from the toolbar and also chipmarks (and other bookmark managers) are easy to install and keep up to date.

I just wonder why Mozilla don't provide these optimized downloads, it just worries me that my browser is in the hands of an individual (especially for security concerns).

Any thoughts...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Huh? Bon Echo is most certainly available from Mozilla.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Huh? Bon Echo is most certainly available from Mozilla.

Bon Echo is the codename of 2.0. Mozilla.org does not provide Intel-optimized builds.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Mr Me,

It's not the same thing, This guy is compiling the latest mozilla source and optimising it for Intel/Power PC. His latest build has the new Mozilla patch in it , see in the link http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2...4/firefox-2001

Chucker,

He is using the Bon Echo as a project name for copyright reasons, I believe.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Chucker,

He is using the Bon Echo as a project name for copyright reasons, I believe.

I know. When you build Firefox yourself, the name reverts to the codename, and the icon to a more generic variant not featuring a fox. This is to protect the Firefox? trademark of Mozilla.com, as well as the copyrighted Firefox logo design from Jon Hicks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I tried the Intel build of FF 2.0 from this guy a while ago and it crashed on launch or while in use basically 100% of the time. I uninstalled it within an hour of installing it. I guess maybe if it's better now (input anyone?) I'll give it another try. I have a vanilla 10.4.8 MacBook C2D.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I tried the Intel build of FF 2.0 from this guy a while ago and it crashed on launch or while in use basically 100% of the time. I uninstalled it within an hour of installing it. I guess maybe if it's better now (input anyone?) I'll give it another try. I have a vanilla 10.4.8 MacBook C2D.

I'm using it on MBP 10.4.8 for the last two month without a worry, in fact it more stable than the PC version