Video and i*Tunes*

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I don't know about the rest of you, but what I'm hoping for in Leopard/iLife is a resolution to the issue of all my video content in iTunes. I still can't stand to play video in iTunes even with the enhancements they've made to it. Quicktime is still a far superior video player compared to iTunes. MacBreak for instance is jumpy in iTunes whenever I mouse over the picture and the floating control pops up on the screen. iTunes just doesn't seem cut out to handle video. If they would just add a contextual menu option to open the video in quicktime that would be a huge improvement.

What really gets me is how a movie purchased from iTunes has the chapter markings on it similar to the chapters that are, or *were* in podcasts when they first came out. You know how Steve got up there and showed the different sections of a podcast within iTunes, complete with thumbnails marking the sections. Well that doesn't seem to work in iTunes anymore, so if I want the chapters to work with a movie purchased *in* iTunes, I HAVE to play it in Quicktime. Seriously, what's up with that?

And finally, videos are still jumpier in iTunes too. Is iTunes simply being stretched too thin? Trying to manage so many different kinds of media and getting bogged down in the process? I wish they'd just develop a separate app for video called "Movie House", "Cinematheque", or iTheatre. Those could also be the real name of the iTV. I'm not sure what it's relationship would be with iTunes, but something has to be done here.