To use Pages or Word for newsletters with images?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Brand new to forum. I have recently replaced (2) aging dell pc's for (2) intel iMac's. One of the iMac's is being used by my daughter; the other in my home office. For her school work I also got iWork with Keynotes and Pages. I installed iWork on both machines and found Pages a fairly good program for editing a newsletter, but have had some issues with emailing, which have been cured somewhat by changing outgoing doc to a PDF.

On the old dell I was using MS Office 2000 with Word to edit and email a 6 to 10 page monthly newsletter. The Office program also has Publisher, and both programs were able to intermingle somewhat.

I also installed Parallels with Windows XP Home on my iMac. I have since installed the Office 2000 program and then ran updates. I can still do a newsletter on the Office 2000 Word program and email out using Outlook 2000, but I was just wondering?

My question is, can someone please help with good points vs. not so good in deciding whether to update my Office 2000 to Office 2006/7 or get Office 2004 for Mac? I tried the trial version that came with the iMac, but several of features were not available on the trial version. So I really can not judge the trial version against Office 2000 for Windows. Pages doesn't seem to be as well appointed as Word 2000, but I've just started to use it, and I am certainly no expert.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Wait to see what iWork '07 offers. It should be announced on Jan. 9.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Pages by far. We use Pages for near everything now, even some things we used to use Adobe InDesign for simply because its a better app for those things.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Pages, as long as iWork '07 doesn't change anything big time.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Wait to see what iWork '07 offers. It should be announced on Jan. 9.

Hi Galley,

I want to see what the new version of iWork has as well. My newsletter needs aren't a very big drain on the capabilities of Pages nor on Word. However, intermingling images onto the pages in the document seem to be somewhat easier to manipulate in Word than in Pages.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Owch, don't use Word for doing layout. It is terrible at that. Definitely use Pages, it is WAY easier once you get used to it. It's not InDesign, but for simple layouts it is superior to Word in absolutely EVERY way.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Owch, don't use Word for doing layout. It is terrible at that. Definitely use Pages, it is WAY easier once you get used to it. It's not InDesign, but for simple layouts it is superior to Word in absolutely EVERY way.

Yeah, most people like Word simply because they never have given Pages a chance. If you have the extra cash to throw around, it is definitely worth investing in iWork to give it a chance.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Pages.

I used to use InDesign but have switched over to Pages for all except one file for which InDesign is still easier, but with a new printer purchase, that file too will transfer to Pages.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Pages.

I used to use InDesign but have switched over to Pages for all except one file for which InDesign is still easier, but with a new printer purchase, that file too will transfer to Pages.

Pages is quicker for simple stuff, but InDesign is a better program. It is WAY more powerful and flexible, and it just handles better for large, complicated layouts.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I have it configured for a certain file, and hhave not changed over more out of laziness and lack of time than anything else. As soon as my printer starts printing business sized cards (there is a setting, but it doesn't work well), InDesign will be removed from my computer, and I will use Pages for all of my layout needs, of which I have a lot.

I write English language teaching materials, company training manuals and the like and find Pages tons easier to work with - the iPhoto integration (with the simple photo editing capabiltities) is the most useful function for me as my layouts incorporate tonns of images; it saves me a lot of time.

Yes, there may be needs where InDesign is better suited, but for the price point, Pages does me a lot better.