Can I update my iTunes from my iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I moved my iTunes music folder to an external G: drive by following the apple tutorial, but in the process my playlists have deleted and merged into one long list.

iTunes has also created duplicate copies of many songs that (if deleted) prevent the ones left from playing, giving me the the message "can't find information from the source folder", so I have to restore the duplicates (individually) from the recycle bin to get the single copies that remain in the one long default "music" playlist, to play.

I have over 500 songs in this one list and, I just don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

I thought that maybe because I had not updated my iPod, since before this happened that there may be a way to "reverse-sync" my music from my iPod to my computer, so sorting the whole mess out in one go. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Or failing that, does anyone know why I can't delete duplicate music files, without stopping the remaining non-duplicates from playing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

\tI moved my iTunes music folder to an external G: drive by following the apple tutorial, but in the process my playlists have deleted and merged into one long list.

Is that because your iPod is synched to your iTunes? I guess if you will move programs around like that, it's inevitable?

Quote:

iTunes has also created duplicate copies of many songs that (if deleted) prevent the ones left from playing, giving me the the message "can't find information from the source folder", so I have to restore the duplicates (individually) from the recycle bin to get the single copies that remain in the one long default "music" playlist, to play.

Ok - your iTunes <read> folder must be picking up the old directory, and then getting confused. Perhaps you haven't completed erased records of the old ITunes on your regular non-G drive?

Quote:

I have over 500 songs in this one list and, I just don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

They're on your G drive, right? Why don't you check with a friend's iPod and see if her's can synch or read your G drive. Alternatively, you could try and reinstall iTunes back onto the drive you had deleted them from and restore it from the G drive. Not sure if that will work - just a thought. Reuploading 50 albums isn't a huge deal. I have around 3000 songs on my 80GB iPod which is synch'd to my Windows laptop for set-up. Now I only upload music from my Mac manually on to the iPod as my tiny Windows computer brain can't handle 80GB of music stored on its internal drives...

Quote:

I thought that maybe because I had not updated my iPod, since before this happened that there may be a way to "reverse-sync" my music from my iPod to my computer, so sorting the whole mess out in one go. Does anyone know if this is possible?

As far as I know, this is possible - although I've never needed to know how to do it, it looks very intuitive on the Mac set up: once your iPod is detected when your iTunes program is open, just drag and drop the songs back the hard drive. Or is there something I'm missing that complicates matters even further?

Quote:

Or failing that, does anyone know why I can't delete duplicate music files, without stopping the remaining non-duplicates from playing?

Not sure I understand all the complicated manoeuvres you've ended up doing. Sorry!