Can I upgrade my PowerBook's video card?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it at all possible? Or is it possible to add more RAM to what it has? Currrently it has a ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM. I see that you could order it with 128MB of RAM on that card... so can I add it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    no, but you can change the card, but thats costly. I had the G3 Powerbook (black rubber) back in 2002

it was barely able to run Final Cut 1 because the videocard sucked and the laptop only had 512 ram.

I got rid of it on Ebay
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How costly is "costly"?

Cheaper than another $2k laptop, I would imagine. I would hope anyway! I'll probably replace it in `08, but I'd like to make it better now if I can.

I tried doing some searches for info about this, but couldn't find anything.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    First of all, laptop parts n accessories are expensive as hell. Before you buy you should make sure what the apps are going to be intended for. If I were to get a Mac Book Pro, I'd get the smallest hdd, best videocard and processor. Worry about that other crap later.

For you, its going to run about $500 to get a card. One other thing, Mac dealers are also weird about letting you install anything other than memory let alone on a desktop than a laptop so the price would be included for installation. On the cheap, adding the full amount of ram is the only other alternative to making the Power Book run smoother. New Egg and eCost are the cheapest sources for online book memory, maybe MacMall if they have a sale.

Also there is NO SHAME running an older OSX if the newer OS runs slow. I am running OSX 10.3 on a G4 and it runs smooth with a 40G hdd and only 512 ram.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I don't really care how Apple feels about me taking the laptop apart... its not under warranty anymore anyway. And I'd do it myself... I've taken apart/serviced PC laptops before, just never a Mac. Since it seems they go out of their way to make things impossible to upgrade, I didn't even know if it was a possibility.

And... yes I know this is sad... but I want to upgrade the card so World of Warcraft runs smoother than it does now. But $500 is more than I would spend to make the game smoother...

It has (2) 512mb sticks of RAM now, so for me to go higher than a Gig would be a huge investment in RAM, since I'd basically be starting over.

It also seems SIGNIFICANTLY slower than it was when I bought it. Like, it takes second or so for the icons to come up on the screen when I adjust the volume and such... even when nothing is open. It used to be immediate. Onyx doesn't seem to help, either.

I'm looking forward to Leopards release... just so I have a reason to format the thing.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post

I ...

It also seems SIGNIFICANTLY slower than it was when I bought it. Like, it takes second or so for the icons to come up on the screen when I adjust the volume and such... even when nothing is open. It used to be immediate. Onyx doesn't seem to help, either.

I'm looking forward to Leopards release... just so I have a reason to format the thing.

It seems like the last comment about speed might mean you could use a though reorganization of your drive and perhaps a rebuild of the desktop. --just thinking....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    how are your soldering skills ?

Assuming you could get a new (better) card .... and it would fit...

I know in the older mac laptops, the video card was actually soldered to the MB... i suppose it could be different now.