G4 350 AGP Graphics Motherboard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a Sawtooth (G4 350 MHz, AGP Graphics) tower with a graphics problem. Apparently there were a number of these motherboards that would lock up when 3D Graphics were rendered (e.g. during slideshows, Google Earth, iTunes Album view).

Two questions:

1) Would a Graphics card fix this?

2) Can I replace my motherboard with a 500 MHz version from the same tower? Or are motherboards unique to their boxes? (i.e. must replace with another 350 MHz)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enumclaw View Post

I have a Sawtooth (G4 350 MHz, AGP Graphics) tower with a graphics problem. Apparently there were a number of these motherboards that would lock up when 3D Graphics were rendered (e.g. during slideshows, Google Earth, iTunes Album view).

Two questions:

1) Would a Graphics card fix this?

2) Can I replace my motherboard with a 500 MHz version from the same tower? Or are motherboards unique to their boxes? (i.e. must replace with another 350 MHz)

1) yes, wouldnt spend over $75 though

2) yes, but why? youd be better off saving up for another computer. I had a G3 350Mhz and tried

donating it to Goodwill and they wouldnt take it, they said it was too old. I eneded up leaving it

in front of my house with a sign that said FREE and a day later someone took it. It was the nice aqua blue

tower. Its a shame they dont sell new motherboards (I get hell from all the Mac Nerds for this topic)