Conversion for DVD studio/FCP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all-

My sister in law is a school teacher and she has a film she would like to show to her 4th grade students. Unfortunately, the film has two bad words in it. She has asked me if I could edit the words out for her. All I am going to do is bleep the words.

That said, I wonder if any of you can advise me as to what codec to transfer into FCP for eventual export to DVD studio.

I wanted to keep everything in it's original format (M2v, right?), but FCP doesn't work with that codec.

I'm extracting the footage off the DVD with MPEG Streamclip. Streamclip gives me plenty of choices for export. The couple I've tried didn't work out too well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hey all-

My sister in law is a school teacher and she has a film she would like to show to her 4th grade students. Unfortunately, the film has two bad words in it. She has asked me if I could edit the words out for her. All I am going to do is bleep the words.

That said, I wonder if any of you can advise me as to what codec to transfer into FCP for eventual export to DVD studio.

I wanted to keep everything in it's original format (M2v, right?), but FCP doesn't work with that codec.

I'm extracting the footage off the DVD with MPEG Streamclip. Streamclip gives me plenty of choices for export. The couple I've tried didn't work out too well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. first of all is this a film with copy guard? are you like bootlegging the VOB files from a movie? If so, good luck trying to export the files. However, if you have Mac the Ripper, you may be able to. But many DVD companies nowadays have gotten smarter and have put in new codecs to prevent you from using such programs unless those said programs are on top of everything.

2. your alternative is to try to real time copy the movie by putting it through you BOB. If your BOB has a chip that recognizes anti-copy then youre SOL. However you can dupe the DVD down to VHS and then export the VHS version to FCP through a BOB and put it on a timeline and fix the cussing. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    If it is a commercial movie, you may lose chapters and menus by doing any editing.

What I would do is rip the entire DVD as a single VOB file. I use yadex to do this:

http://www.macetvideo.com/dl_center/dl_center.html

Then use MPEG Streamclip to demux to m2v and aiff.

Then edit the audio track in some audio program (possibly Final Cut Pro) but don't change the length of it.

Both the new aiff and m2v should import into DVD Studio Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If it is a commercial movie, you may lose chapters and menus by doing any editing.

What I would do is rip the entire DVD as a single VOB file. I use yadex to do this:

http://www.macetvideo.com/dl_center/dl_center.html

Then use MPEG Streamclip to demux to m2v and aiff.

Then edit the audio track in some audio program (possibly Final Cut Pro) but don't change the length of it.

Both the new aiff and m2v should import into DVD Studio Pro.

Yes, sticking with m2v is ideal. The problem is that FCP does not have mpeg-2 without downloading mpeg-2 component from apple. The download is only $20, but I have only $30 in the bank right now and I'm not going to spend it on a favor. However, I did find a workflow that works well so far. Mactheripper to VOB, Streamclip to MPEG IMX 525/60, edit in FCP, compress in compressor, import to DVDSP. I haven't burned the DVD yet, so I don't know what the quality of the final will be, but this is just for a classroom of kids. They are not going to care.

Thanks for your help guys8)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [QUOTE=Jeff Deveraux;1018398]Yes, sticking with m2v is ideal. The problem is that FCP does not have mpeg-2 without downloading mpeg-2 component from apple. The download is only $20, but I have only $30 in the bank right now and I'm not going to spend it on a favor. However, I did find a workflow that works well so far. Mactheripper to VOB, Streamclip to MPEG IMX 525/60, edit in FCP, compress in compressor, import to DVDSP. I haven't burned the DVD yet, so I don't know what the quality of the final will be, but this is just for a classroom of kids. They are not going to care.

Thanks for your help guys8)[/QUOTE$

30 in the bank and living in San Francisco? Thats like

just enough to park for a couple of hours.....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj View Post

30 in the bank and living in San Francisco? Thats like

just enough to park for a couple of hours.....

Not if you ride a motorcycle
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Deveraux View Post

Yes, sticking with m2v is ideal. The problem is that FCP does not have mpeg-2 without downloading mpeg-2 component from apple. The download is only $20, but I have only $30 in the bank right now and I'm not going to spend it on a favor. However, I did find a workflow that works well so far. Mactheripper to VOB, Streamclip to MPEG IMX 525/60, edit in FCP, compress in compressor, import to DVDSP. I haven't burned the DVD yet, so I don't know what the quality of the final will be, but this is just for a classroom of kids. They are not going to care.

I thought MPEG Streamclip needed that component too, I forgot to mention it. It says on their site:

"For MPEG-2 playback and conversion, you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component."

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

I really wish Apple would include it in Quicktime for free as well as AC3 support.

Why did you convert the whole movie to MPEG IMX and re-encode it? I just meant you to edit the audio track in FCP or even Soundtrack Pro. Just find the time where the two words were and bleep them, resave the audio track and drop the original m2v and new aiff back into DVD Studio Pro. No need to recode the video. It would've saved a lot of time and no loss in quality.