Drop DV problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm at work and need to import a dvd---lindsey buckingham's latest mv's from Reprise.

No copyguard, its a handout from the record company for our use.

Drop DV says it doesnt recognize some of the files, I dragged the DVD icon into Final Cut 5

and the VOB files are not recognized either. Is there a Drop DV update? Our Mac sales guy was

touting how great it was...only in theory. Do I have to go to the old way of dubbinng

it in a dvd player to tape? I wish there is some kind of update. I'm capturing video today for an edit

and story airing tomorrow. Thanks! I'm using:

Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5

2.5 DDR SDRAM

Version 10.4.6

Final Cut Pro 5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You don't know anyone in Hollywood that can help you?

What I would do is rip the DVD first. If Drop DV is converting VOB files, don't just drag them straight off the disc - DVDs have a certain way of splitting the files when they are formatted. Get something like Yadex, which will save the whole movie as a single VOB file. Then drop that into Drop DV.

Yadex is here:

http://www.macetvideo.com/dl_center/dl_center.html

There are other convertors but I like that one.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [QUOTE=Marvin;1018055]You don't know anyone in Hollywood that can help you?

the ones in Hollywood recommend that we buy Drop DV, hahahah

What I would do is rip the DVD first. If Drop DV is converting VOB files, don't just drag them straight off the disc - DVDs have a certain way of splitting the files when they are formatted. Get something like Yadex, which will save the whole movie as a single VOB file. Then drop that into Drop DV.

Yadex link is in french or sumthin. Cant understand it.....

Ripping the DVD and the putting it back in Drop Dv takes too much time

thats why we bought Drop DV....I just dubbed it over onto tape...

thanks anyway! 8)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj

Yadex link is in french or sumthin. Cant understand it.....

Click on the lien 1 link beside the yadex name - that's like a mirror server. It's a handy program to have anyway because it can extract individual chapters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatcatdj

Ripping the DVD and the putting it back in Drop Dv takes too much time

thats why we bought Drop DV....I just dubbed it over onto tape...

Is dubbing done in real-time or do you have a faster than real-time dubbing system?

I've found that ripping doesn't usually take much longer than copying files from a DVD (on my computer that's about 10-20 minutes) but if you add that time to the DV conversion time you may be just as quick or even quicker with dubbing.

I just tested a DVD rip plus DV conversion and a full DVD copy took 12 minutes. I only tested converting a small VOB file to give me a rough idea about how long the conversion would take and Drop DV was pretty bad. It did the conversion in half real-time. MPEG Streamclip on the other hand did it in real-time. I could put that down to Drop DV being PowerPC and Streamclip being universal binary though as I'm using an Intel machine.

Now obviously the conversion depends on the machine you use (I'm testing on a dual 1.66 Intel Mini) and probably if you had a Mac Pro or G5 you'd be able to shave the time down a bit but if dubbing is at worst real-time then it seems like a good solution. Ripping takes just as long on a G5 so even if you get the encoding down to 20 minutes, you're still taking about 30-40 minutes. There's also a chance the audio won't come out right too because one of the files I converted with Drop DV had no audio in which case you'd have to do the conversion again.