Prey coming to the Mac this month + Cider release too

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For anyone who hasn't Bootcamp'd their Mac, look for this game out on the 16th. I just completed it on the Windows side on an iMac and it's one of the best games ever. It's probably the closest thing to a movie experience I've seen. This is what Doom3 should have been. What impressed me most was the quality I could get out of the X1600 GPU. I had the game mostly maxed out and it was running really smoothly. I never turn on FSAA because I don't think it helps that much and I prefer the extra fps but everything else was up as high as it would go.

http://www.aspyr.com/product/info/67

The only thing that concerns me is that it'll come in at full price, which isn't very appealling when you can get it on the PC for £10 now.

I also played FEAR at quite high quality (again no FSAA and slighty lower resolution to boost the perfomance) and it's good too.

According to Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/firs...esfl/index.php

Heroes of Might & Magic V is going to be a Cider release so we'll see how that technology fares compared to the PC counterpart.

I think the price issue is a big one and I reckon the only way to avoid it is to have Mac and PC games on the same disc like the Pixar games do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jvbjvb Posts: 210member
    I also agree that this is a great game, but why would you go buy it AGAIN for the Mac edition? The actual game doesn't change. Just keep playing it on Windows with Bootcamp if you ever feel the need to. That's my approach at least.

And, on a different subject, isn't World of Warcraft for Mac on the same cd/dvd as the Windows version?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvb View Post

I also agree that this is a great game, but why would you go buy it AGAIN for the Mac edition? The actual game doesn't change. Just keep playing it on Windows with Bootcamp if you ever feel the need to. That's my approach at least.

That's what I do too but that's why I'm concerned that these ports won't make a difference. If I walk into a store and see 300 PC titles for between £5-10 and games like Prey are still up at £30 for the Mac, I'd still be thinking about why I shouldn't just get a cheap copy of XP on ebay and get access to all the other titles. Not to mention that hardware devices like games controller adaptors work in XP.

I think that there quickly needs to be a setup that allows people to play older PC games in OS X through some sort of contained environment (possibly Parallels) and that might start the ball rolling for developers to look into more simultaneous releases of Mac and PC games before we reach a point where we get too many high-end pieces of software that won't play at all in any contained environment. That would leave people with no choice but to rely on Windows for gaming.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think that there quickly needs to be a setup that allows people to play older PC games in OS X through some sort of contained environment (possibly Parallels) and that might start the ball rolling for developers to look into more simultaneous releases of Mac and PC games before we reach a point where we get too many high-end pieces of software that won't play at all in any contained environment.

You obviously have no clue what Cider and Cedega are. I highly suggest you check it out. Soon there will be no difference...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beline View Post

You obviously have no clue what Cider and Cedega are. I highly suggest you check it out. Soon there will be no difference...

Cedega allows you to run games like Crossover but it's only on Linux and not that good. Cider means you have to compile every game using it in order to allow it to run on other platforms. Cider allows simultaneous releases of games but it doesn't mean that companies will use it nor does it mean they will release them on the same discs. It may be publishers like Aspyr who take on the role of using Cider due to the licensing cost and that's no good if they are going to charge full price when due to massive sales the PC version drops way down.