itunes account

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me how to open an itunes account if I´m not either int the US nor in any of the listed countries that appear??

And if I have an itunes gift card, can I use it ??

Tahnk you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by altoid View Post

Can anyone tell me how to open an itunes account if I´m not either int the US nor in any of the listed countries that appear??

And if I have an itunes gift card, can I use it ??

Tahnk you

In order to open an iTunes account you must provide credit card information: yes, even if you just want to use a gift-card! The billing address of the credit card determines the iTunes store that you will be allowed to purchase from. I would guess that if you live in a country (and presumably, your credit card's billing address will also be in that country) that does not have an iTunes store, you will not be able to set up an iTunes account, and so you will not be able to use your gift-card.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

In order to open an iTunes account you must provide credit card information: yes, even if you just want to use a gift-card! The billing address of the credit card determines the iTunes store that you will be allowed to purchase from. I would guess that if you live in a country (and presumably, your credit card's billing address will also be in that country) that does not have an iTunes store, you will not be able to set up an iTunes account, and so you will not be able to use your gift-card.

Actually I signed up for iTunes with a Gift Card. To do that you have to redeem a card, then sign up when they prompt you to login or create an account.

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Actually I signed up for iTunes with a Gift Card. To do that you have to redeem a card, then sign up when they prompt you to login or create an account.

Sebastian

How does Apple know what store to give you? or is this information contained on the gift card? It seems incredible to me that they would not require some sort of proof of your location for setting up which store you access. I would love to download some of the TV shows that are on the US site, but alas, my account is registered in Canada due to my credit card's billing address. Can you remember how Apple determined your location?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

How does Apple know what store to give you? or is this information contained on the gift card? It seems incredible to me that they would not require some sort of proof of your location for setting up which store you access. I would love to download some of the TV shows that are on the US site, but alas, my account is registered in Canada due to my credit card's billing address. Can you remember how Apple determined your location?

It was an American Gift Card so it signed me up for the American store. If I wish to sign up for the Japanese store for example, I'd need a Japanese Gift Card.

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It was an American Gift Card so it signed me up for the American store. If I wish to sign up for the Japanese store for example, I'd need a Japanese Gift Card.

Sebastian

Perfect! My partner is at school at UNC, so what you're saying is that I can just have her forward me gift cards from time to time and I'll be able to get access to iTunes video? -- that's just great! I guess I would have to set up a separate account from my current one, but that's not much of a big deal.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Perfect! My partner is at school at UNC, so what you're saying is that I can just have her forward me gift cards from time to time and I'll be able to get access to iTunes video? -- that's just great! I guess I would have to set up a separate account from my current one, but that's not much of a big deal.

Yep, Good Luck

Sebastian