How to make (Quake 3) maps in OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How does one go about makeing Quake 3 maps in OS X? i have some cool ideas and i keep seen maps out there but can't find any info on how they are made.

Please help

Frank_t

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Putting quake 3 in the subject would have been wise.

Now for the answer. You can't. There is no Quake 3 map editor for Mac OS X.

Maybe you can channel some of your anger into energy and write one?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Well i wish i could make that app but i don't know how to make any app.....is there a pc app that is easy to use that makes Q3 Maps? i have VPC for os x and i am on a new Dual 867Mhz so it should run ok.

Any apps? Sorry for the name of the post but it's the only way to make them look

Frank_t
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The only way is to use Virtual PC, but if you value your sanity, then I suggest you don't go that route.

The good news is that when Id ships Doom 3, they will include a level editor that has been ported to all platforms. So if you can play Doom 3, you can create new maps.

I swear Id is one of the coolest software companies in existence. And Carmack LOVES OS X!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Actually, I read that the mac version of Doom 3 won't have an editor either.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And, since this is about 3rd party software...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    [quote].Carmack LOVES OS X! <hr></blockquote>

I don't think he LOVES OS X at all. I think Carmack thinks OS X is way better than OS 9 (duh). Please give us links to qutoes of Carmack saying "I love OS X". I find it hard to see what Carmack LOVES at all. He is so smart, focused,dedicated, and critical. I don't think He loves any OS (with due reasons maybe?) I have followed his carreer since Wolf and Doom, and he has never "loved" anything from Apple.

Not to be pesimistic at all, but I always felt like Carmack was so critical of Apple, and so powerful of a figure in the gaming world, that he actually is one of the few developers who has *forced* Apple to wake up and build not only better hardware, but also make a better OS. If you look back a few years, Carmack ripped Apple big time every chance possible, and I resented it, but, and most of it I agreed with. I'm glad that Apple is now getting good games again,and that OpenGL runs well in X.

Remember when the Mac was top-dog platform, and PC users thought the Mac (with a GUI) was gonna end up being just another Atari or Intelivision system for games only? Apple freaked on that attitude and steered away from the game industry (when the game industry barely existed) and it came back and bit them in tha @ss.

I think all gamers, and Mac users in general, owe a lot to Carmack.

I happen to be a avid FPS gamer, and I think Carmack saved Apple in many ways that most Mac users will never understand.

The game industry is huge, and Apple is starting to get a slice of the pie again. This year is the first year EVER for me to buy more than 5 games in one year. I used to complain that I never got good games on the Mac, and now I can't keep up with the games. Sure, they still ship later that PC games, and most are still (duh) ports, but I won't complain.

The bottom line for me on if I contiune to be a Mac gamer or not: 1) How good Doom 3 plays on the current Mac at the time next year, 2) and of course, how soon the Mac version ships after the PC version. I hope we get the Doom 3 map editor too!

Oh yea, give it up for Bungie! :0)

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: dstranathan ]

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Where can i get a quake 3 map maker for the PC? i want to give it a try in VPC.

Frank
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Carmack was a huge fan of NeXT... which is what Doom was originally programmed on. Surprised?

When NeXT morphed into OS X, Carmack's interest followed, and he is on record as saying that it's the best game development platform in his opinion. No, I can't give you a pointer, it was about a year ago, and honestly I don't recall where. But I do have many friends in rather high level positions at game production companies, and it was quite the topic of conversation, me being the only Machead among us.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>When NeXT morphed into OS X, Carmack's interest followed, and he is on record as saying that it's the best game development platform in his opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>Kick is right. I remember reading an article somewhere about that and I believe he also said that at one (or two?) of the MacWorlds.

Now that I think about it, I'm almost certain he mentioned something to this effect in one of his .plan updates. Look through the archives and I'm sure you'll find it.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Yes, I too remember back in the 90s seeing some kind of "The making of Doom" in a magazine. It mentioned how much ID loved (and Used) NeXT boxes for coding and designing Doom (and Doom 2?).

It's funny to think that game developed on NeXT, compiled for Windows, and then finally ported to the Mac can now be developed on the Mac! (Well, sort of...) We have come full circle, guys! Maybe we won't have to see games packaging with 10 different companies logos on it anymore! LOL

Question:

Will ID develop on OS X someday?

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I believe John Carmack said that after Doom 3 is finished, he will re-evaluate his development platform and decide if he wants to continue using Windows 2000 or start using OS X or something else for his development platform. I believe he said he would also evaluate whether to continue using Open GL or if he should switch to Direct3D instead.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>

I don't think he LOVES OS X at all. I think Carmack thinks OS X is way better than OS 9 (duh). Please give us links to qutoes of Carmack saying "I love OS X". I find it hard to see what Carmack LOVES at all. He is so smart, focused,dedicated, and critical. I don't think He loves any OS (with due reasons maybe?) I have followed his carreer since Wolf and Doom, and he has never "loved" anything from Apple.

Not to be pesimistic at all, but I always felt like Carmack was so critical of Apple, and so powerful of a figure in the gaming world, that he actually is one of the few developers who has *forced* Apple to wake up and build not only better hardware, but also make a better OS. If you look back a few years, Carmack ripped Apple big time every chance possible, and I resented it, but, and most of it I agreed with. I'm glad that Apple is now getting good games again,and that OpenGL runs well in X.

Remember when the Mac was top-dog platform, and PC users thought the Mac (with a GUI) was gonna end up being just another Atari or Intelivision system for games only? Apple freaked on that attitude and steered away from the game industry (when the game industry barely existed) and it came back and bit them in tha @ss.

I think all gamers, and Mac users in general, owe a lot to Carmack.

I happen to be a avid FPS gamer, and I think Carmack saved Apple in many ways that most Mac users will never understand.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Carmack is extremely fond of OS X. You may also want to consider that Doom was written using a Next box.

Yes he is critical of Apple because he wants them to improve. That doesn't mean that he doesn't like OS X, only that he wants it to get better. Carmack is responsible for Apple's decision to embrace Open GL, too. Jobs basically asked Carmack, what does Apple need to do for Quake, and Carmack told him, "Open GL".

Also, Id is one of the ONLY major game developers that actually write their own Mac ports rather than giving them to another company to port. That counts for a LOT.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>Actually, I read that the mac version of Doom 3 won't have an editor either.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well you read wrong. If a platform will play Doom 3, then it will run the editor.

From a QuakeCon 2k1 report (http://www.planetquake.com/quakecon/doom.shtml):

[quote]

New Editing Support

Carmack mentioned that the new DOOM engine will have all of its functions integrated into one platform. This means that if you can run the game, you can develop/mod/map for it on the same computer.

To make things even easier for both id's mappers and future amateur map makers, DOOM's map editor will feature real time lighting inside of the application, negating the need to compile maps and making the whole mapping process much less laborious (for both id and amateur map makers). "The level editor is more of a placement tool than a modeler," said Carmack.

This solves what Carmack identified as one of the major obstacles to effective game development. One could, he noted, spend an obscene amount of time perfecting one singular hallway, tweaking and lighting and crafting until it was the best hallway ever seen in a computer game. "What would be great," Carmack emphasized, "was if we could have a whole game that looks as good as that hallway." The new DOOM editing tools and technology should make something like that possible.

<hr></blockquote>