Home Cinema

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, first post so please bear with me.

I have a home cinema running an LCD projector through a Yamaha AV Amplifier which also decodes the surround sound to both dolby digital and dts formats from my DVD player and PS2.

I have recently purchased a mac mini which I am thinking of replacing my DVD player with. Picture is not a problem as I can run DVI to HDMI but I cannot understand how I can transmit the sound using a 3.5mm plug on the back of the mini to either optical or coax in. DO I need extra hardware, software or both?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Skier

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    assuming your mini has optical out, all you need is a Toslink optical cable with a 3.5 jack adapter..

not really difficult to find
  • Reply 2 of 6
    skierskier Posts: 16member
    Hi Trendannover

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry if this is a daft question but what sound can be output from a mini when playing a DVD, i.e. is it dolby digital and dts output from the mini 3.5 jack and it is just a question of plug conversion?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You'll need an adapter to go from the 3.5mm output on the Mini to Toslink for input to your A/V receiver. Once digital, you'll get DD or DTS.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    skierskier Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

You'll need an adapter to go from the 3.5mm output on the Mini to Toslink for input to your A/V receiver. Once digital, you'll get DD or DTS.

Thanks Mike
  • Reply 5 of 6
    what mike said
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    You said it first, Trendannoyer