Ilegal PORT command?!?!?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all. I was trying to upload a file for a friend using the FTP client Transmit and here's the error I get:

I uploaded that by accessing the same server I tried to access with using its web based uploading service.

I logged into the same server fine under Mac OS 9, but under 10 it ALMOST connects and then gives me that error. Can anyone help? Is there a proxy setting i can set? Is there a generic one?

Thanx in advance,

PiBO 2k2

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    must be a west coast ftp program....

• Reply 2 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The PORT command tells the server what port on your computer to send data to. Since this doesn't happen 9 turn off your software firewall in X. The port opened is an arbitrary high number.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I dont' have a software firewall activated. At least I don't think I do. Is there some terminal command I can do to disable the firewall altogether?

Thanx.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ANYONE!?!?!? come on now.... there gotta be a way to disable the internal firewall in X...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    In system prefrences go to sharing and look for the Firewall tab. Check to be sure it is stopped, not started.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>In system prefrences go to sharing and look for the Firewall tab. Check to be sure it is stopped, not started.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im running under pre-jag OS X so that option isnt there.. Im sure there a terminal command that can do it....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    its 10.1.5 by the way
  • Reply 8 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Try out terminal ftp.

ftp

open ip.ftp.com

ls to list, cd to change directory, get to download, put to upload... man ftp if ya have any questions
  • Reply 9 of 9
    b.i.lb.i.l Posts: 30member
    The PORT command means that you are attempting an "active" connection. Go into prefs or something (I don't use Transmit) and make sure you are using "passive" mode which uses the PASV command.