iPhone Specs?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So far I can find very little actual specs concerning the iPhone (please point me in the right direction if I've just missed it). What processor is it using? How much memory? Is this really OSX, or is it a branch off the OSX tree? I work with embedded devices, and unless they have a really powerful architecture under that hood, running full OSX seems, well, a bit of a stretch to me (but I'm more than happy to be wrong )

So anyone got some better spec info on this thing? Oh yeah, and who else thought "WTF?" when they said it will support the older/slower EDGE network but not 3G? (yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm whining about this all over the place, but come on, it's a high-end piece of hardware and all the high-end stuff is 3G, just look at what the HTC guys are doing...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    go to www.apple.com and click iphone tab at the top, then click specs at the top it will give you mostly everything

and yes it is an OSX (lite) model...fully desktop featured
  • Reply 2 of 14
    We must be looking at two different web sites, because the "Tech Specs" link is the only "specs" link available, and it doesn't describe the processor or memory (just storage). It also doesn't confirm what version (or if a new spin off) of OSX that the phone will be running. So if you have found a link I haven't, with that info, please post it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    On a slightly different note - any idea as to how durable the iPhone case and screen will be? All that touching could sure make it scratched and greasy. I really want to be wrong rather than a pessimist ...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    so has this iPhone thingy got a user replaceable battery?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    Ok, I love everything about the iPhone so far but no the looks. Im no saying it is ugly but I just dont quite understand why its not more applesque.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

Ok, I love everything about the iPhone so far but no the looks. Im no saying it is ugly but I just dont quite understand why its not more applesque.

I think it looks cool but I would have also liked a white one.

...and yeah, what is the speed of the processor? I mean we are talking about a computer here, how much can we expect it to do?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    The iPhone looks sweet to me. It's everything in a phone I wanted. 8)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    untill they add t-mobile support the phone is completely worthless. What good is an apple phone when they don't even allow any and all customers to buy one. Specs mean nothing with out the phone being open to all carriers.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

The iPhone looks sweet to me. It's everything in a phone I wanted. 8)

I agree. I want (need) one now.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    srewopsrewop Posts: 28member
    I think the phone is great, but it would be 10x better if it were unlocked.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

So far I can find very little actual specs concerning the iPhone (please point me in the right direction if I've just missed it). What processor is it using? How much memory? Is this really OSX, or is it a branch off the OSX tree?

Apple never releases these kinds of specs for non-Mac devices. Maybe there will be a developer note in August, though.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    yeah, I wanted to know the same information. Obviously it's quite a powerful machine if it can do everything it claims to do...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

So far I can find very little actual specs concerning the iPhone (please point me in the right direction if I've just missed it). What processor is it using? How much memory? Is this really OSX, or is it a branch off the OSX tree? I work with embedded devices, and unless they have a really powerful architecture under that hood, running full OSX seems, well, a bit of a stretch to me (but I'm more than happy to be wrong )

So anyone got some better spec info on this thing? Oh yeah, and who else thought "WTF?" when they said it will support the older/slower EDGE network but not 3G? (yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm whining about this all over the place, but come on, it's a high-end piece of hardware and all the high-end stuff is 3G, just look at what the HTC guys are doing...)

My thoughts: Finally, someone tapped the OMAP for all it's worth!

It might use something else, but I'm guessing the iPhone might pack this TI OMAP CPU. I'm 99.9% sure that iPhone will soon be available on 3G networks. It's possible the iPhone uses an older OMAP like the 2230 or 2430, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

OSX is based on the XNU kernel. It's a much smaller kernel than Windows, and even smaller than Linux when you get down to it. Linux is used with Qtopia on a lot of embedded devices, so an OS X pared down for an embedded target may well have a footprint of less than 4MB for the base system, although I'd guess there's at least 64MB of sweet graphics in the iPhone. Either way, these aren't startling figures for an embedded device these days. Neither is the idea of running OS X on it. OS X runs OK on 500MIPS, and with only 480x320, any of the newer ARM cores should rock & roll. The ARM 11s and A8 Cortex CPUs should have no problem whatsoever. The OMAPs have dedicated on chip GPUs, DSPs, and a second core for the cellular baseband. OS X is someone special in that it can get away without an FPU since there are already provisions for it offloading the display layer to a GPU. This actually makes it perfect for developing advanced embedded products.

One thing is for sure: people working on Linux smartphones are feeling really stupid about now. I'm looking forward to the prospect of pulling up a terminal on my iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    After making that last post, I found this page about Nvidia. Maybe true, maybe not, but without a doubt it's quite similar to the OMAP.