Apple US centric - AppleTV useless for UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Apple Uk website has a link to the AppleTV which shows it functionality as merely playing your iTunes library and Podcasts on your TV. As if you'd want that over the iPod Hi-Fi or using wifi to your home stereo for better sound.

Deleting the uk prefix in the url takes you to the equivalent US website which includes TV Shows and Movies (obviously) as functions of the AppleTV. Whilst we may get TV and Movies it clearly won't be for sometime yet (hence the absence of obvious promotion of the AppleTV on the Apple UK website).

C'mon Apple. It's been rearly quite a while. I'd have though the least you could do is offer certain BBC content by now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    Apple cant offer BBC content as the BBC wont let them. Movies ARE coming at some point in 2007, TV shows howevere are unlikley as the stations in the UK have their own services for doing this.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Same here in Japan... Sony is blocking Apple's every move (despite partnering with them in the US): no Sony artists on iTMS, no movies whatsoever, no TV.

Supposedly, Apple has working on it and is to make something available this summer.

I have a need for the AppleTV at home (I make tons of movies, audio projects and such for my work/hobby/the hell of it) and want to see my creations on a big screen asap. Right now that means either burning to DVD or running a long cable to the living room.

BBC is public, so they shouldn'T be that hard to armtwist into providing good content.

Japan has NHK which is public... here's to hoping.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

want to see my creations on a big screen asap. Right now that means either burning to DVD or running a long cable to the living room.

There are loads of devices that do what the AppleTV will do (more or less).

Have a look at this post of mine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, you can always put your own content on iTunes, from your own movie collection or--if you have EyeTV, etc.--your own TV shows. I've never bought a TV Show/Movie from iTunes, and I have plenty of stuff to watch on AppleTV.

While I have complaints, content is not one of them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Really? How do I upload my movies (DVDs) to iTunes - I wasn't aware of that.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

Really? How do I upload my movies (DVDs) to iTunes - I wasn't aware of that.

You can't do it directly with iTunes. Try handbrake.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    With 160 posts, I thought that part was a understood My bad.

Quote:

mpw_amherst

• Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

The Apple Uk website has a link to the AppleTV which shows it functionality as merely playing your iTunes library and Podcasts on your TV. As if you'd want that over the iPod Hi-Fi or using wifi to your home stereo for better sound.

Deleting the uk prefix in the url takes you to the equivalent US website which includes TV Shows and Movies (obviously) as functions of the AppleTV. Whilst we may get TV and Movies it clearly won't be for sometime yet (hence the absence of obvious promotion of the AppleTV on the Apple UK website).

C'mon Apple. It's been rearly quite a while. I'd have though the least you could do is offer certain BBC content by now.

Take it up with your television regulatory and licensing ministries.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Handbrake exactly.. WHY can people not understand that you DO NOT HAVE TO only buy content from iTunes, you CAN ADD YOUR OWN, i have TONS of stuff ripped and ready
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Why can't this functionality be added to iTunes by Apple? It seems so obvious. Do you think it will be? I assume not until version 8 now, if at all ...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

I'd probably buy an Apple TV just for that -- it's my main motivation to get one now, and I doubt I'll take much advantage of Apple TV for playing movies or watching TV shows. I currently have a Roku SoundBridge -- Apple TV will be like having a SoundBridge with a great video interface.