dot Mac sure got the short shrift

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
No special integration with Apple's new flagship product. It barely even got a mention.

It hasn't had any significant updates lately, just a superficial look change. How long till Apple puts it out of its misery?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ar4wyar4wy Posts: 33member
    It IS rather quite unfortunate.

Not even iLife 07 and iWeb 2 to support poor old .Mac, specially when people are starting to renew for the new year.

...I'm really just desperately praying...PRAYING for iLife/iWork 07 to be announced before the conference ends. PLEASE STEVE...please...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popmetal View Post

No special integration with Apple's new flagship product. It barely even got a mention.

It hasn't had any significant updates lately, just a superficial look change. How long till Apple puts it out of its misery?

What does this have to do with anything? Steve was using Endorsements and partners in order to oversell it and so some people wouldn't look at it as just an expensive phone.

In Leopard, you'll be able to use .Mac to sync Widgets, and no doubt that includes iPhone Widgets as well.

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

What does this have to do with anything? Steve was using Endorsements and partners in order to oversell it and so some people wouldn't look at it as just an expensive phone.

In Leopard, you'll be able to use .Mac to sync Widgets, and no doubt that includes iPhone Widgets as well.

Sebastian

good point, and I am glad Apple is working closely with both google and yahoo., but still you can't deny that .Mac is very neglected and totally not worth the money anymore when you can get a more reliable email services for free from yahoo and 5 times bigger web drive for free from AOL.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

good point, and I am glad Apple is working closely with both google and yahoo., but still you can't deny that .Mac is very neglected and totally not worth the money anymore when you can get a more reliable email services for free from yahoo and 5 times bigger web drive for free from AOL.

Hard to say, since the synching iDisk service globally is a terrific feature for some of us.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ar4wyar4wy Posts: 33member
    It's so god dang slow though.

For the price we pay for .Mac, I expect something more. Right now, the only reason I'm keeping it, is because i love the iWeb\\.Mac publish. It really makes my life a lot easier, specially for someone who doesn't know too much about building websites.

I NEED IWEB 2!! i was looking so forward to what new things they had to bring!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

.Mac serves me well, and has yet to go out on me. Personally I'm not a big fan of Yahoo's webmail services either, at least the old ones. I signed up for the Beta a couple months ago and rather liked it, but if I buy an iPhone, I may find a use for it and it's Push IMAP (I refuse to use Webmail, I just aggregate them all into Mail, and if I have an iPhone I may just use that instead, not to mention that .Mac could be used to configure all my Mail settings onto Mail on the iPhone, saved me a few hours of work after a bad HDD accident actually)

Concerning AOL's Xdrive service, trusting AOL with your Data is like throwing yourselves to the wolves. I plain don't trust them.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 11
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I too like .Mac & really hope that this is included with all the new advances...

.Mac push email would be great

Synching info with iPhone will be essential really if there is to be true intergration & I can't believe apple won't do this

I think we need to be patient & expect there will be a seperate anouncement of iLife & iWork '07 when Leopard is anounced.....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Vote with your money...cancel your .mac subscription. If enough people do it, the signal will be crystal clear to Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Vote with your money...cancel your .mac subscription. If enough people do it, the signal will be crystal clear to Apple.

I'll vote with my money but not the way you'd like. I happen to like .Mac and don't care to try and make it anything more then it is.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Check out this guy trying to encourage the development of a free .Mac alternative: www.notMacChallenge.com.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post

Check out this guy trying to encourage the development of a free .Mac alternative: www.notMacChallenge.com.

I noticed... Interesting Challenge though.

Sebastian