No 3G?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok people are upset with no 3G, but didnt Job's say something about it? To me internet browsing was dang smooth on that beauty of a phone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Yeah, but I believe he said he was on a wi-fi.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC View Post

Ok people are upset with no 3G, but didnt Job's say something about it? To me internet browsing was dang smooth on that beauty of a phone

my brother told me steve talked about a 3g version being in the works... i hope so!!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Yes, Jobs said it was in the work for the future. Does Cingular support 3G yet?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i am not disappointed there is no 3G for reason of speed comparison between WCDMA and Edge.

i am disappointed that there is no 3G model mentioned yet since if no 3G then Japan wont get a version of it. there is no GSM in Japan. Only 3G WCDMA (and 3G equivalent CDMA).

the asian model to be launched in 2008 and the european model to be launched Q4 2007 will *likely* have 3G and quad band GSM but until the specific network providers are announced offically we wont know.

japan has had rumours since may 2006 that Softbank will be awarded it. which would be great.

i do hope the 3G version has quad band GSM and not just tri-band GSM, since a tri-band GMS would not likely include 850 bandm and the cingular 850 frequency would not be included in a tri band version.

i just wish the european and asian vendors and specs are announced or leaked soon.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ya 3G on cingular is one of the few companies that have it if the only major one. but dont be so hyped on the 3G network, doctors say radiation from the devices are very high and unsafe still, and coverage wont be around metro areas for years, also it drains battery life like crazy, expect no more than 1-2 hours on the phone rather than the 5-6 on EDGE talk time..
  • Reply 6 of 17
    3g phones have been around for about 5 years in europe! and are common place in europe, australia and parts of asia. so thats a must.

i feel sorry for US mobile phone users if you are used to call dropping, (like cingular CEO mentioned in keynote about) i had never even heard of it before!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    sorry but i have tmobile, and i live in an area where i share cingulars towers only, im rarely on a tmobile tower, never experienced dropped calls in the 11 months ive owned my Dash and sidekick...i dont think it will be different either

my gf and her mom have had cingular for 2-3 years, never dropped calls...good service in the area...(socal)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I would submit that the exact reason iPhone's not dropping in europe and asia at the same time as the US is so that they have time to produce regional variations with slightly different technologies, such as 3G. I base this on the fact that it seems they could start producing these sooner than june if they wished but they require FCC approval, and as such could start shipping them in Europe earlier than Q4 if they were shipping identical units. It could also be to do with carrier deals, although I think if Jobs wanted to push those through, particularly after the keynote, he could easily do so. I hope the rest of the world gets visual voicemail too.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    why iphone don't have ichat? they got osx and lots of technology...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    uhh iphone does have ichat...he was even using it in the keynote...it has ichat which is exclusive to AIM
  • Reply 11 of 17
    I argue that the most advanced 3G network in the world is right here in the USA: Sprint Power Vision. The only other contender for this "title" is NTT, which is just as good but being in Japan they have a lot less ground to cover. Verizon maybe tied for third in a pack with the other EVDO and HSPDA outfits of the world. The metrics I'm using are max bandwidth, average bandwidth, number of users, and network size.

Cingular just happens to be old fashioned -- it's not a good example of the USA's otherwise extremely advanced cellular networks. And also, the radiation emitted by 3G phones is not significant. It's certainly less than what you're getting from your WiFi router. Ebaydan777 is wrong on all accounts.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Cingular just happens to be old fashioned -- it's not a good example of the USA's otherwise extremely advanced cellular networks. And also, the radiation emitted by 3G phones is not significant. It's certainly less than what you're getting from your WiFi router.

Except you don't have your WiFi router right next to your ear and brain.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    exactly...lol 3G does emit a lot of radiation and you are not close enough to your router to get it..that phone is on your ear, and dont say im wrong on all accounts ive done my research and i think that 3G is a waiste of time RIGHT NOW..will be good in a year or two but not before iphone comes out..
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

exactly...lol 3G does emit a lot of radiation and you are not close enough to your router to get it..that phone is on your ear, and dont say im wrong on all accounts ive done my research and i think that 3G is a waiste of time RIGHT NOW..will be good in a year or two but not before iphone comes out..

its good to have options. with 3.5G found in the most cities in europe you can access to internet faster than GPRS (about 384Kbps-1.8Mbps-3.6Mbps) and do videocalls... also, in my country is far more difficult to find free wireless hotspots than to adquire a 3.5G network.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The successful 3G introduction in Japan showed that video telephony was not the killer application for 3G networks after all. The real-life usage of video telephony on 3G networks was found to be a small fraction of all services. On the other hand, downloading of music found strong acceptance by customers. Music download services in Japan were pioneered by KDDI with the EZchakuuta and Chaku Uta Full services.Worldwide roll-out of 3G networks was delayed in some countries by the enormous costs of additional spectrum licensing fees. In many parts of the world 3G networks do not use the same radio frequencies as 2G, requiring mobile operators to build entirely new networks and license entirely new frequencies; a notable exception is the United States where carriers operate 3G service in the same frequencies as other services. The license fees in some European countries were particularly high, bolstered by initial excitement over 3G's potential. Other delays were as a result of the expenses related to upgrading equipment for the new systems.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

uhh iphone does have ichat...he was even using it in the keynote...it has ichat which is exclusive to AIM

He was using SMS.

Sebastian
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

He was using SMS.

Sebastian

wait sorry your right, its on the demo on apple.com/iphone haha i knew i saw it somewhere

oh and about the guy with 3G in japan...ITS JAPAN!!!! they are gurus in technology, American however isnt yet, 3G on this phone is just a bad idea people get pist when they dont get what they are paying for, meaning lower battery status and having to move out of a descent sized city into the Big Apple...i live in los angeles and we dont even have it here, only sacramento and who the hell lives up there besides our governor now.....ya its going to be a while until the network is useful, so let the iphone be the iphone with EDGE that is currently a great network