What the iPhone means for a new video iPod

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I can imagine it having roughly the same externals and UI. Basically, it's the iPhone with a hard drive, but no cell phone or internet functionality:

? Big screen with touch interface

? No click wheel

? Cover flow for navigation

? Same photo and video interface

? Contacts and calendar, but of course cannot dial or email

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    There's no reason the next iPod shouldn't have wifi built-in. That would allow it to have all the internet functionality - including e-mail. I would go further and have it integrate with Apple TV so a home user could stream from Apple TV to the new iPod.

The one thing that would be nice - but it won't have - would be internet phone (e.g., Skype) functionality. I'm sure Cisco would get all kinds of upset at that and would want to take the iPhone moniker away from Apple.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 2 of 14
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

There's no reason the next iPod shouldn't have wifi built-in. That would allow it to have all the internet functionality - including e-mail. I would go further and have it integrate with Apple TV so a home user could stream from Apple TV to the new iPod.

Right on the money, IMHO. This would make Zune's "welcome to the social" so, uh, even more embarrassing.

Well done (so far), Apple!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I agree; however, the iPhone seems to be running an mobile version of iTunes--it is OS X, by the way. But keeping that aside, the bar has been raised on the next full sized iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    haha ya definitly..i strongly beleive the next ipod will be this without the phone/internet, and will have bluetooth wireless sync to your itunes on your mac..
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm wondering if the click wheel is a gonner.

Without having tried the new finger scrolling, I'll reserve judgment as to which I might prefer.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

The one thing that would be nice - but it won't have - would be internet phone (e.g., Skype) functionality. I'm sure Cisco would get all kinds of upset at that and would want to take the iPhone moniker away from Apple.

--DotComCTO

I hope it has wifi, so you can use starbucks internet to surf. I can't afford that cellphone internet
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

I hope it has wifi, so you can use starbucks internet to surf. I can't afford that cellphone internet

Yes! It better have WiFi and Skype/VOIP ability. GPS would also be cool!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It be nice for Apple to offer wifi etc. with the next iPod but they'll want to protect the iPhone sales. And it won't have Skype. That would just piss off Cingular. They don't want people making "free" internet voice calls. They want you to use the cell phone and pay up. It might use bluetooth but I'd bet only for the high end iPods. It's a bit of a problem for Apple. They have to update the iPod, but they can't make it too close to the iPhone. Why bother to buy the iPhone if you can get wifi internet with the iPod? Of course you need to be in a hotspot to use the wifi, which won't often happen unless you frequent places with it. I'd like it too but I don't see it happening right away.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

It be nice for Apple to offer wifi etc. with the next iPod but they'll want to protect the iPhone sales. And it won't have Skype. That would just piss off Cingular. They don't want people making "free" internet voice calls. They want you to use the cell phone and pay up. It might use bluetooth but I'd bet only for the high end iPods. It's a bit of a problem for Apple. They have to update the iPod, but they can't make it too close to the iPhone. Why bother to buy the iPhone if you can get wifi internet with the iPod? Of course you need to be in a hotspot to use the wifi, which won't often happen unless you frequent places with it. I'd like it too but I don't see it happening right away.

Oh great, now we're being controlled and manipulated by Cingular!? WTF! If I want a WiFi/Skype iPod Cingular should have NO say in the matter. Too bad Apple and Cingular are in bed together now
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I think that the iPhone is basically the next generation iPod. Let's face it, anything else would fall way short design wise.

I doubt if there will be WiFi included as it might cause problems with the carriers (in multiple countries) and I doubt that Skype would go for it as Skype seems to want your computer to become part of their infrastructure in order to use it.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault View Post

Oh great, now we're being controlled and manipulated by Cingular!? WTF! If I want a WiFi/Skype iPod Cingular should have NO say in the matter. Too bad Apple and Cingular are in bed together now

Nobody would but I bet that was a Cingular condition. If Apple didn't care about offending Cingular then they would have made the phone open and not tied to to a carrier. But they didn't. They tied it to Cingular and had them upgrade their network for the voice mail, etc. The new iPod won't have anything other than bluetooth and even there it might not. It's unclear if you can download songs to the iPhone from iTunes directly, seems like you can't yet, so that won't be an option for the new iPod either. Another reason not to offer wifi. Remember Apple only gives what they think you want.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't think the new iPod will do anything to adversely take sales from the potential iPhone buyer. Which IMO means that Apple will probably just update it with the wide touch screen, and no real new iPhone functionality, just so you can touch your music. That's it. And maybe just the wide screen. We don't know how difficult it is to make that particular touch screen, and Apple is probably going to start stockpiling iPhone. THose things are going to outsell the iPod, and they will want to have a million tons of them ready to roll out the doors when they go on sale.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

According to briefed Apple staff at Macworld, websurfing uses WiFi as the default,

but "invisibly" switches to EDGE if you are not at a hotspot. The Skype call biz

is a non-starter since the Applephone will not run third-party applications or widgets.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

WiFi kills the battery, would make the iPod more expensive, and their really is no reason to surf the internet on the iPod.

Quote:

The Skype call biz is a non-starter since the Applephone will not run third-party applications or widgets.

David Pogue interview it was revealed that Apple is still debating VOIP on the iPhone. There is no technical reason why it could not be on the phone. The only reason is because of Cingular.

The precarious line Apple walks is if they keep VOIP off of the phone they will be doing the exact same practice as other cell companies in artificially locking out features.