Apple tv question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been trying to decipher what apple tv is capable of and it seems just to be directly tied to itunes content, I was kind of expecting to be able to interface with streaming video off of the internet through some type of basic remote control based web browser. I mean with the popularity of youtube/google video and really just about every multimedia website out there it seems like the value of what apple tv could be is severely diminished.

so the question is did I miss something, will you be able to stream from the web with this device, I think it would be great to surf through youtube videos from the couch on a big screen tv

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

I have been trying to decipher what apple tv is capable of and it seems just to be directly tied to itunes content, I was kind of expecting to be able to interface with streaming video off of the internet through some type of basic remote control based web browser. I mean with the popularity of youtube/google video and really just about every multimedia website out there it seems like the value of what apple tv could be is severely diminished.

so the question is did I miss something, will you be able to stream from the web with this device, I think it would be great to surf through youtube videos from the couch on a big screen tv

The video on Google Video and YouTube would look like crap on a large screen TV.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I've read that it actually looks better on a tv just because of its low resolution in the first place, I would have to see it to say for sure....I am sure it depends on the video uploaded
  • Reply 3 of 5
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ......I guess what I want is apples version of webtv lol, Some how I was just thinking the itv concept was like a remote access to your existing mac on your tv, I obviously was very wrong....I can't even import my existing video into itunes without converting it.....maybe ilife 7 has an answer, anyway....for right now apple tv is a no go, I would be better off for what I want just getting another mac mini and a scaler
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

Maybe you want this instead:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Ente...s/EVA8000.aspx

This is a great device but...not very attractive for a living room when compared to other consumer devices. This looks like it belongs in a lab.