Suddenly can't get online using another laptop as a router

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's the scenario:

I have a Windows laptop with a Verizon PC air card, which is how I connect to the Internet. I have enabled Internet Sharing on my Verizon card. Having done so, I connected my Windows laptop to my iBook G4 via an ethernet cable, and after doing so, I was able to successfully connect to the Internet with my iBook.

However - recently, this has stopped working! I can no longer connect to the Web on my iBook in this manner. The network properties window shows that I am being assigned an IP address.......however, I cannot pull up any web pages.

I have tried nearly everything: rebooting my iBook, rebooting my Windows laptop, disconnecting and re-connecting my Verizon card, clicking the "renew DHCP lease" button, but I still can't get back online. Any suggestions?

As I mentioned before - this was working successfully at one time.

(Specs below, in signature).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Is there anything filled out in your DNS servers field? See if you can pull up http://17.254.0.91 . Also if that doesn't work you can try trashing or renaming your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder, restart your computer and set it up how you had it before.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manyourisms View Post

Is there anything filled out in your DNS servers field? See if you can pull up http://17.254.0.91 . Also if that doesn't work you can try trashing or renaming your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder, restart your computer and set it up how you had it before.

Thanks for the response. The DNS Server field is empty. I tried trashing the contents of that folder, and now all that has happened is that when I check Network Status in System Prefs, it's all blank. When I check Ethernet, all the fields are blank.

What's odd is that it randomly worked for me again last night, but today is back to not working. I thought it might be a cable issue, but have checked that repeatedly, and anyway my PC gives an alert when the cable is loose or disconnected.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    When it randomly works again, try opening network utility and pinging the IP other computer, see if theres any packet loss, also do a loopback test as well (ping 127.0.0.1) and post the results.