Should I wait for Leopard to come out?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Before buying new Macs? I'm sure Tiger is great (new user-to-be here), but I've heard a lot of good things about Leopard. I've also heard somewhere that new programs tend to have bugs near their debuts. So even if I did wait to buy my computers once it comes out, I'd risk having to deal with any glitches or whatnot (given there are any)?

Or if I just didn't worry with it and get computers with Tiger OS, and I upgrade to Leopard later, what kind of price am I looking at? I'd really hate to end up paying a lot more later, just to stay updated with the newer stuff that I could have gotten bundled with my computer when I bought it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    wait for leopard...its only $150 more i beleive..and its going to be great, tons of new features, dont worry about glitches those will be updated ALL the time...beleive me leopard will be around for a long long time, like 2 years or 3..so get it now ull have time to break it in, better than spending money on something old
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Wait, they'll charge an additional $150 to get it? I assumed it'd come as part of the computer bundle, like Tiger,...or maybe I misunderstand you...

And also, when you say the glitches and such will be updated all the time, does that mean they'll send out updates you can download for free, like iTunes does? You wouldn't have to keep buying new versions, would you? Naw...

Forgive me for being so unenlightened! I'll get the hang of all this soon enough, promise.

Thanks, though. I do think you're right about waiting.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

Wait, they'll charge an additional $150 to get it? I assumed it'd come as part of the computer bundle, like Tiger,...or maybe I misunderstand you...

And also, when you say the glitches and such will be updated all the time, does that mean they'll send out updates you can download for free, like iTunes does? You wouldn't have to keep buying new versions, would you? Naw...

Forgive me for being so unenlightened! I'll get the hang of all this soon enough, promise.

Thanks, though. I do think you're right about waiting.

Yeap the updates are free. You get them through a very unobtrusive tool called "Software Update" and it takes care of updates for the OS and other Apple Apps like iLife.

Leopard will be part of the package, it won't be "an extra". I think what ebaydan meant was that if you desperately need a Mac now, get it now with Tiger and you'll be able to get Leopard when it comes out as an upgrade for about $150 (lower if you're a student).

Cheers,

Alex
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Yeap the updates are free. You get them through a very unobtrusive tool called "Software Update" and it takes care of updates for the OS and other Apple Apps like iLife.

Leopard will be part of the package, it won't be "an extra". I think what ebaydan meant was that if you desperately need a Mac now, get it now with Tiger and you'll be able to get Leopard when it comes out as an upgrade for about $150 (lower if you're a student).

Cheers,

Alex

Oh! Alrighty. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ..$129
  • Reply 6 of 8
    If you're a student, it will be $69 if the current pricing model doesn't change.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Basicly you have 2 choices.

Buy now, then when leopard comes out you'll have to shell out $69-$129 to buy the upgrade from tiger to leopard.

Wait and get leopard free with your computer

If you need the computer now its best to buy now. Leopard is soposed to be out sometime in Quarter 2 of 2007, which could be as late as June. So although waiting could save you some money, depending on your situation it might be better to buy now. Playing the waiting game can get old pretty quick
  • Reply 8 of 8
    There's a third option , that should be taken by anyone with lots of macs. (I have 4 currently.)

Buy your computer just before Leopard comes out. Order the "Up to Date" Cd for 20$. It's an upgrade CD that will upgrade all your machines. The discs that come with your computer often only work on that computer, and can't be used to upgrade your older machines. Plus, you usually get a price reduction right before the new OS comes out, as they clear out all the inventory with the old OS on it.