Multitouch "keyboard"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
How about it? A much bigger (keyboard sized) device to replace keyboards. That way the apps could dictate their own controls. I hope I am describing what I am imagining sufficiently... Basically just the UI of the iPhone for computers, and perhaps the bluetooth, too. This would be a very dynamic tool.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LotharSNL View Post

How about it? A much bigger (keyboard sized) device to replace keyboards. That way the apps could dictate their own controls. I hope I am describing what I am imagining sufficiently... Basically just the UI of the iPhone for computers, and perhaps the bluetooth, too. This would be a very dynamic tool.

I think you are describing it sufficiently, basically you mean a Screen or Pad that would replace the Keyboard.

It's a nice thought, but if you are like me, then your fingers know every button on the Keyboard and most if not all of the basic shortcuts. Perhaps when the next big leap in computers comes, but right now, no.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 4
    On a different thread, I suggested a keyboard as well. You could create it yourself with a set up app. Even go as far as create your own keys for each app's functions that you use (I use some that aren't short-cutted or are on the right side of my split keyboard and therefore not accesible when I am using a mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 4
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I think that I personally would have a hard time adapting to this. I don't know how I would deal with out the tactile feedback of typing on this flat panel. The difference between using this imaginary multi-touch panel and a real keyboard is that while you are typing you don't look at the keyboard. I type by feeling the keys, not by looking at them.

My idea for this future technology is that this multi-touch screen will be large and sit on a desk at about a 30 or so degree angle, and that will be the screen and input interface for the computer. I don't know about a keyboard, at this point I think I would need an actual keyboard for the same reason above.