802.11 n non-enabled status...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When I purchase my MBP 2.33 in Nov. 2006 I thought that 802.11 draft n was already active, at least that was the appearance having read the product description for the MBP. I only realized last night that after reading further on the googled search regarding Apple's Airport Extreme draft n Base Station that the software will be include to ENABLE the current crop of Intel Core (2) Duos.

I was quite disappointed to realize that my current D-Link 625 draft N router is not at intended use. I wasted money updating my older Net-gear wireless router. I understand that as early adopter to the latest technology I tread the unknown territory BUT there are enough Draft N wireless routers on the market that Apple should have sold the computers with Airport cards active with Draft N. After all, it is fully backward compatible so why did Apple not have it active?

If Apple wasn't sure what they wanted to do until they announced Airport Extreme (draft n), I give Apple a bit of leeway to hold the competitors at bay. Now that it is announced they should at least offer the Draft N enabler software download independently.

I don't know if I will purchase the Airport Extreme Base Station (no doubt I would if it offered 1000-T connection) and if I don't I'm kind of out of luck! Well, actually, I'm sure the next software update will include enabler. It's just that I have been willing to pay premium for the latest technology but if it's not active what's the use!

Yeah, yeah , yeah...I know the reality... I had to vent a little to justify my time and money spent on upgrading the wireless network. Any developers reading this feel sympathetic enough to write a software to enable the airport card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I agree - the "enabler" is a pretty cheesy move. What they were probably worried about is people complaining about the 802.11n enabled cards not working with the various "pre-n" routers out there.

I have a Belkin pre-n router (which is by far the best 802.11g router I have owned, way better than link-d or linksys). I plan on finding a enabler disk for my macbook c2d pro, and if I can get it to work with my Belkin with firmware updates, then great, otherwise I will buy the apple router.

If anyone out there gets the apple router, do you think you could burn me a disk of the enabler? Maybe it is small enough to email even.