Taking the plunge to Mac - Need Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Both of my sons have macs and now that I am in the market for a new pc, they told me that I would be foolish to go with another and I should make the switch. I have some questions:

1. I have a great 21" flat panel and don't see a need to get another. Would the Mac mini be okay (the 1.83). Some people have told me that I can't upgrade and it wouldn't be worth it. I don't play games. I have Itunes, I do some webpages (Studio 8 with Dream weaver), some graphic design (wine labels) aned general Office stuff.

2. I have a laptop on a wireless hookup to my pc. The pc is hooked to my cable modem. Can I do the same with the mac mini or do I just hook the cable modem to the wireless hub and make the mac mini wireless. Sorry but sometimes I have brain freeze on this stuff.

3. Unfortunately I have a Dell printer and know that Dell doesn't make a mac driver. I print many wine lables and am thinking about a color laser printer. Any suggestions or should I stay with another inkjet. I do want the All-in-one capability.

4. Does anyone know when or if Circuit city or best buy will put 12 month finanncing on computers and if they do, is apple excluded. I have bought directly from Apple for my sons and they only have 90 days.

Thanks for the help. Betty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    1. It seems like a mini would be fine for you. A MacPro seems like it might be a bit of overkill, and you'd be better off (and spend less money) getting a new mini every couple of years than shelling out over $2000 for a macpro.

To me, the mini isn't upgradeable because, well, the whole point is that it's relatively economical and you just buy a new one! Plus apple makes it incredibly easy to transfer files from one computer to another.

2. Either way will work, just go with whatever you find easier.

3. I don't know for sure, but likely basic functions will work if you just plug it in, dell driver or not. Wine labels might not be possible though. Of course, companies are so desperate for you to use their brand of printer, the price for a brand new printer is often lower than the cost of new toner/ink cartredges. As far as inkjer vs. laser, I've got no clue

4. I don't know

5. Welcome to the family!

6. Unless you really need it soon, I'd wait a bit. The next iteration of OS X (Leopard) as well as iLife should be out sometime this spring, and updates to the mac mini are due soon as well. So if you can wait 3-4 months, you'll probably get quite a bit more bang for your buck.