iPhone is a computer in the shape of a phone...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone is a computer in the shape of a phone. What is the implication of that? It seems that any app that runs on OS X will also run on iPhone. As long as the needed libraries are in place I can't see a reason you can't run anything on it. Forgetting the lack of CPU power and drive space iPhone is a fully functioning OS X computer.

What is Apple or 3rd parties going to do with that?

If I could take it into work and doc it with my sync cradle could I use my LCD and mouse and keyboard and run OS X off of my phone. Could iPhone "take over" any Mac so that I could my OS X with my stuff by booting a foreign computer from my phone? Is this the beginning of a real mobile login? Maybe iPhone could download the files and apps I need from my home/work computer so that I can have my computer anywhere securely.

What apps are we going to see for iPhone. Obvioulsy not mobile Photoshop or anything else. Mobile iTMS for sure.

You could use the motion sensor to make a pedometer. Nike - iPhone? Too bad it doesn't have GPS.

I'm trying to think, "What would I do with a really good mobile computer" I'm not Steve so the juices are not flowing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

The iPhone is a computer in the shape of a phone. What is the implication of that? It seems that any app that runs on OS X will also run on iPhone. As long as the needed libraries are in place I can't see a reason you can't run anything on it. Forgetting the lack of CPU power and drive space iPhone is a fully functioning OS X computer.

What is Apple or 3rd parties going to do with that?

If I could take it into work and doc it with my sync cradle could I use my LCD and mouse and keyboard and run OS X off of my phone. Could iPhone "take over" any Mac so that I could my OS X with my stuff by booting a foreign computer from my phone? Is this the beginning of a real mobile login? Maybe iPhone could download the files and apps I need from my home/work computer so that I can have my computer anywhere securely.

What apps are we going to see for iPhone. Obvioulsy not mobile Photoshop or anything else. Mobile iTMS for sure.

You could use the motion sensor to make a pedometer. Nike - iPhone? Too bad it doesn't have GPS.

I'm trying to think, "What would I do with a really good mobile computer" I'm not Steve so the juices are not flowing.

The iPhone is supposed to be a "closes system" which I think means sorta like the iPod in that only Apple will be able to modify the feature set. I just don't think the chipset in the iPhone will be able to do a whole lot other than what Apple has designed into it.

• Reply 2 of 11
    Ya only ipod will make the software, but theyre accepting third party creators to go through ipod to actually make their software released. They're doing this so that the phone doesnt get buggy like other smartphones with 3rd party apps. Also, it is not a full version of OS X, its just a downsized version specifically for iphone. And the phone may include trinagulation GPS if thats possible. I read an article by NYTimes just now, the editor handled the phone for about an hour asked lots of questions. Apple told them that the software is not ready at all there is much more to be added until release day, so im going to guess a lot more features that we could fathom will be on the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

The iPhone is supposed to be a "closes system" which I think means sorta like the iPod in that only Apple will be able to modify the feature set. I just don't think the chipset in the iPhone will be able to do a whole lot other than what Apple has designed into it.

Say who? Where do you get that it's a closed system?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Say who? Where do you get that it's a closed system?

It was mentioned in another thread (or two I believe), one thread with a linked article, another thread with a petition.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Do you think there will be an instant messenger application like msn?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You mean iChat? Probably, although the SMS client already looks/acts a lot like iChat. I suspect that maybe you'll be able to pass through msgs. I have friends with AOL accounts on AIM that pass to/from their mobile phones through SMS.

Integrating the two (SMS and iChat) would mean that you could talk to folks through their AIM account or their phone number, seamlessly. Pure speculation though.

mydo, you should be able to find confirmation of frank's statement in a few seconds with Google. Schiller confirmed this.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

Ya only ipod will make the software, but theyre accepting third party creators to go through ipod to actually make their software released. They're doing this so that the phone doesnt get buggy like other smartphones with 3rd party apps. Also, it is not a full version of OS X, its just a downsized version specifically for iphone. And the phone may include trinagulation GPS if thats possible. I read an article by NYTimes just now, the editor handled the phone for about an hour asked lots of questions. Apple told them that the software is not ready at all there is much more to be added until release day, so im going to guess a lot more features that we could fathom will be on the iPhone.

I didn't realize iPod was a company. Does www.iPodinsider.com redirect here?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Did anyone else notice the distinction Steve drew between "applications" and "widgets" on the iPhone? The progam for viewing photos is an application whereas the weather/stock programs were widgets. I haven't heard/read any explanation for the difference -- if indeed there is a difference. Just looking at the iPhone's home screen, the icons on both widgets and applications appear to be the same and there is no separation of programs into applications and widgets

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the distinction will define the boundaries of third-party development -- only Apple-approved applications can be loaded on the iPhone but any third-party widget is fair game.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I think the distinction between applications and widgets might be that widgets are about presenting data sourced from the web (not that this is true of every widget in Tiger, but maybe on iPhone it will be). I think I read in another thread that one reason iPhone was a "closed system"/Apple-only apps, was for stability of the device and also a requirement on the part of Cingular to keep buggy stuff off their network. If that is true, and given widgets specifically make use of the phone network to retrieve data, it'd follow that widgets are less likely to be opened up. Unless developers submitted them to Apple for vetting and they got the official seal of approval perhaps.

Not allowing third party widgets would seem to run counter to where widgets are going in Leopard - the whole make your own widget with Safari thing. Putting your own easy to make widgets on iPhone could be very useful indeed. Would Cingular really be concerned about potentially buggy iPhone software when they don't appear to be similarly concerned about the current crop of smartphones with their reportedly dodgy third party apps?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    really, the idea that a phone is running the same OS as a desktop computer is really ridiculous.

You really need a G4 class processor running at about 500mhz to get any kind of performance running a desktop OS X - which you sure aint going to get in a phone, unless you add 3 pounds of heatsink gracing the back side and get a battery life of 10 minutes.

And its ridiculous to imagine that a phone needs a full desktop OSX running on it to be useful. Its a huge waste of resources.

Samsung licenced the PPC from IBM, and there are the ARM embedded chips. It will almost certainly be one of those running about 200mhz.

Apple can call their OS for the iPhone whatever they like - and clearly they have graphically chosen to make it look like OSX (leopard if we believe the rumours). Clearly they have rolled their own OS, but its as likely nothing like Mac OSX under the hood, apart from copying the UI and some elements to get the feel of Mac OSX.

It depends on how you define OSX. Is it the codebase? or the look and feel? Clearly the 'look and feel' is how Apple define OSX.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

really, the idea that a phone is running the same OS as a desktop computer is really ridiculous.

You really need a G4 class processor running at about 500mhz to get any kind of performance running a desktop OS X - which you sure aint going to get in a phone, unless you add 3 pounds of heatsink gracing the back side and get a battery life of 10 minutes.

And its ridiculous to imagine that a phone needs a full desktop OSX running on it to be useful. Its a huge waste of resources.

Samsung licenced the PPC from IBM, and there are the ARM embedded chips. It will almost certainly be one of those running about 200mhz.

Apple can call their OS for the iPhone whatever they like - and clearly they have graphically chosen to make it look like OSX (leopard if we believe the rumours). Clearly they have rolled their own OS, but its as likely nothing like Mac OSX under the hood, apart from copying the UI and some elements to get the feel of Mac OSX.

It depends on how you define OSX. Is it the codebase? or the look and feel? Clearly the 'look and feel' is how Apple define OSX.

I'm thinking it's just the Darwin kernel and the Quartz compositer. Anything more then that and Cingular balks.