Will many of you get new 'n' Airport? AppleTV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I noticed Apple introduced a new 'n' networking airport. Since I'm getting the Apple TV and as well have a C2D Macbook Pro that supports 'n' it seems like it seems to be a good choice to upgrade to 'n' networking but I have several questions:

1. If I'm right at this time the n networking is mostly proprietary meaning if I want to use it I should get all Apple hardware. Is that true?

2. When the 'n' spec is finalized with the MacBook Pro, Apple TV, etc. via firmware update support that or will I have to stay with Apple hardware

3. How important is n for the Apple TV? I plan to mostly use it for streaming mp3's, sometimes photos, and at times video off of a future Mac Pro I plan to purchase this summer. I had planned streaming but if necessary would be willing to copy it over to the Apple TV. Obviously I know n will copy it over faster but I don't mind doing this overnight and taking longer. Is the n needed only for HiDef video or is it necessary for standard streaming video?

4. I've heard in the past to stay away from Airport and use other brands so am I better off avoiding this product?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I've used AirMac for years (AirPort is called that in Japan) and never had a problem with it. Set it up once, then the new base station 3 years ago and haven't touched the devices ever (which is good because they are stuck in a very hard to reach place under my desk - transmission is still fine in my house, which is Japanese, so it is a little small by American standards.

I ordered the base station and the TV as well as I am in the process of upgrading my whole home sytem this year and next. They will arrive whenever Japan gets stock, which is always after the US.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Go ahead and pick one up.

I'm getting one because I'll be able to attach External Storage to it, probably around the time Leopard is released so I can use it with Time Machine.

Sebastian