Is the iPhone for you? (Part II)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following on from Part I of the poll (in which almost 60% of the respondents so far have stated that the iPhone is for them), here is another to determine the popularity of the iPhone according to country of residence/citizenship. Smartphones seem to be much more popular in the U.S. than elsewhere, and this may hinder Apple in attaining their 10 million iPhones in 2008 target.

If you have not voted in Part I, please do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Mr. H do you think that the iPhone could increase the appeal of smartphones in Europe? Why aren't they popular 'over there'?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Mr. H do you think that the iPhone could increase the appeal of smartphones in Europe?

Possibly.

Quote:

Why aren't they popular 'over there'?

Size and price, probably. People are used to getting their phones for free with a one year contract, and being given a free phone upgrade once a year on many contracts.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Possibly.

Size and price, probably. People are used to getting their phones for free with a one year contract, and being given a free phone upgrade once a year on many contracts.

The US is like that too, at least this American is, I've never gotten any cell phone beyond the free one. Next time I can upgrade I'm going to get a better model, but that's because my current model sucks. However, that model would only be one step up from my current one.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    When I switched from cingular to Nextel, I paid extra to get a better phone than the freebie you could get with the service plan. It's still a POS. I'll gladdly get rid of it for the iPhone. Cingular service in my area isn't great but supposedly has improved since I switched. Then again the Nextel service hasn't been that great either. It is expensive though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Looks like my theory is being contradicted. Still need more votes though?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would say of the people I know. People in their mid 30's and older generally get the free phone with the contract. People in their early 30's and younger are more likely to buy the latest trendy phone.

However literally everyone I know is salivating over the iPhone. How many people would pay the $499 and switch to Cingular? I don't know.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Mr. H do you think that the iPhone could increase the appeal of smartphones in Europe? Why aren't they popular 'over there'?

They are. We just tend to favour the Symbian models over the Palm, Windows or Blackberry ones. Smartphones do tend to be free on contracts too.

(BTW, I'm not sure if the iPhone even counts as a smartphone, since you can't install your own programs on it.)

Amorya
  • Reply 8 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

They are. We just tend to favour the Symbian models over the Palm, Windows or Blackberry ones. Smartphones do tend to be free on contracts too.

(BTW, I'm not sure if the iPhone even counts as a smartphone, since you can't install your own programs on it.)

Amorya

I wouldn't call anything running Windows Mobile or Palm OS Smart, and I wouldn't call the Blackberry a Smartphone considering it's main selling point is IMAP. I don't know too much about Symbian.

Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The difference is that in the UK at least, even the newest releases and trendiest phones are available free on all but the cheapest contracts; a consumer is usually only charged for the phone if it's a smartphone. For example, I got my k800i free on a £25/month (pretty cheap, standard contract) over here in september, just after its release, for free. This wouldn't have been the case with a PDA type smartphone. I think (?) that things are slightly different in the US, with the free phones being the worst of the worst?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n View Post

The difference is that in the UK at least, even the newest releases and trendiest phones are available free on all but the cheapest contracts; a consumer is usually only charged for the phone if it's a smartphone. For example, I got my k800i free on a £25/month (pretty cheap, standard contract) over here in september, just after its release, for free. This wouldn't have been the case with a PDA type smartphone. I think (?) that things are slightly different in the US, with the free phones being the worst of the worst?

It's the same in the US. I actually got paid for my RAZR—Cingular's rebate was about $15 more than Amazon charged me for the phone This was on their cheapest plan.

Amazon since upped the price :/
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Hmm? So far this poll is showing a far higher percentage of "yes" votes than Part I (75% Vs. 59%). I don't think Part I ever showed over 60% at any stage. Perhaps some people have warmed to the iPhone.

However, the poll is showing the phone is more popular in the U.S. 82% of the U.S. voters so far have said "yes", and 60% of non-U.S. voters have said "yes".