Apple in-car sat. nav. system

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I wonder if Apple will ever produce an in-car sat. nav. system?



I'm starting to think that their approach can be applied to anything with a user interface. I'd love to see an in-car sat. nav. system with an Apple GUI.



iNav. I for one would buy one.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    Not any time soon. Though you could prolly mount a ModBook in your car somewhere and get some programs working well together and a GPS hooked up to it somehow to make one lol.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,271member
    My gf doesn't even use the Nav system for Turn Based Navigation because inputting the addresses is such a pain in the arse.



    Apple should indeed look towards licensing multi-touch to cars and they can ally with a GPS partner for that technology.



    Today cars are using nobs and buttons to input very slowly. Imagine pulling up a Qwerty and typing in enough data to have the predictive nature kick in with the full address.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Let me guess, this is the Rumor that will replace the iPhone Rumors now that Apple has actually announced the iPhone?



    Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    Let me guess, this is the Rumor that will replace the iPhone Rumors now that Apple has actually announced the iPhone?



    Sebastian



  • Reply 5 of 14
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Do the current generation of sat. nav. systems allow you to save destinations so that you can all them up later?



    I could see an Apple-branded head, with Apple GUI that allows you to sync with your Mac/iPhone and then you could simply pull-up a list of contacts, select where you are going and you'll get directions door-to-door.



    Apple could offer a subscription system like .Mac where regular updates would be downloaded to the head. That way they would get the sale of the iNav unit itself and a regular revenue stream from the subscriptions as well. Just a thought.



    Or there might be an opportunity to develop a plug-in unit that works with the iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    Do the current generation of sat. nav. systems allow you to save destinations so that you can all them up later?



    I could see an Apple-branded head, with Apple GUI that allows you to sync with your Mac/iPhone and then you could simply pull-up a list of contacts, select where you are going and you'll get directions door-to-door.



    Apple could offer a subscription system like .Mac where regular updates would be downloaded to the head. That way they would get the sale of the iNav unit itself and a regular revenue stream from the subscriptions as well. Just a thought.



    Or there might be an opportunity to develop a plug-in unit that works with the iPhone?



    Why doesn't Apple just make the car?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    Do the current generation of sat. nav. systems allow you to save destinations so that you can all them up later?



    Yes. My Garmin allows you to store favorites.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    *15 Years Later*



    Reporter: Now that Apple has successfully conquered the Personal Computer Market, the Creative Pro Market, the Server Market, the Enterprise Market, the Consumer Electronics Market, the Automobile Market, the GPS Market, the Food Market, and the Plumbing market, what next for Apple?



    Steve Jobs: Well seeing as how we are now entering the Robot market, I would like to announce that we have developed a series of nanobots that enter the human body and repair human body tissue and fight disease. In Fact, as of this morning, I am literally immortal so I'll be the CEO of Apple forever.



    Reporter: The news just came in that you have now conquered the Robot Market.



    Steve Jobs: Well then, I dunno, I always wanted to follow in the foot steps of the East India Trading Company and create a monopoly and eventually military force that controls the entire world.



    Reporter: Understandable



    Steve Jobs: Well today we are announcing that we are entering every market, and manufacturing a Gigantic Robot Army to take over the world.



    Reporter: This just in, it seems you have already taken over the world, Congratulations.



    Steve Jobs: Thanks, I knew Apple could innovate in this field. * *







    Sebastian
  • Reply 9 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post


    Yes. My Garmin allows you to store favorites.



    And Garmin's in-car navigation systems also have very nice touch-screens, with software keyboards, and predictive text entry, as mentioned above. They've had this for one or two years, at least.



    Certainly would love to see a snazzy Apple GPS navigator. But Garmin has that market pretty much cornered.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Couldn't they just add this functionality to a new iphone down the road and sell a separate car mount for it?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Let's see those mockups!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I'm starting to think that their approach can be applied to anything with a user interface.



    Pretty interesting, isn't it?



    ...and, if I were a stockholder, maybe a little scary. "When is this balloon going to pop?"
  • Reply 13 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    I'm starting to think that their approach can be applied to anything with a user interface.



    And look, bam, I press this onscreen button right here, and bam, ice comes out. And it even remembers whether you chose ice or filtered water last time.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,271member
    Apple needs to license the f**** out of multi touch. Everywhere I look I see crappy CE user interface.



    I've become convinced that your typical consumer electronics company doesn't give a shite about user interface. I'm sick of it.



    Apple...deliver us from Evil.
Sign In or Register to comment.