Will Total Cost of Ownership kill the iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While I think the iPhone is an amazing piece of technology, I can't help but think of the total cost of ownership of this phone. It starts with $599, and with that there's a two year contract with Cingular that you're locked into. I don't know a lot about data rates with Cingular, but I read that the cheapest plan offered runs around $80. So even if I just want to use this new iPhone as the awesome video iPod that it is, I'm stuck with a phone bill every month.

Then there's the battery. 5 hours, which includes talk time, video playback, and internet is not a lot of time. If you go on a flight and surf the internet for awhile in the airport, then watch a movie on the plane, by the time you land, your battery is dead. So either you're going to have to carry some third-party peripheral which will extend battery life, or else I'd have to carry another cell phone just to be able to use a phone. Eventually, somewhere in that two year contract, the battery is probably going to need to be replaced and that's no easy task. That will probably consist of having to send it into Apple, or take it to my nearest Cingular store where they'll crack it open and put in a new battery for a hefty price.

While the iPod was pricey when it first came out, the price tag alone is what you were paying. The iPhone has the initial sticker shock plus a monthly premium. I have a feeling that this total cost of ownership is going to be the phones undoing and that it won't really take off until it opens up and Cingular no longer has exclusive rights to the iPhone. The iPod only became successful when it was opened up to Windows user, so I don't think having it exclusively with one company is going to make it as huge a hit as everyone predicts. Plus without productivity apps, you're shutting out a major part of the smartphone market.

So total cost and Cingular exclusivity will seriously hamper this thing from being successful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You're making assumptions based on a product that doesn't even exist yet, with a phone contract whose rates haven't even been announced yet, and with a battery whose quality you don't know anything about yet.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Any idea why the standby time hasnt been released yet, or even an offical spec sheet?

Could this be because they are still working on maxing the phoneout before telling anyone the full specs.

And as for the length of contract and price. I hope that given the price of the handset the tarrif isnt as high as some people are suggesting. I think a 2 year contract is too much considering new phones are generally released every year or perhaps apple will release them every 2 years.

We dont have 2 year contracts in the UK, we do have 18 month but i wouldnt sign up for less than a 12 month one.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You're making assumptions based on a product that doesn't even exist yet, with a phone contract whose rates haven't even been announced yet, and with a battery whose quality you don't know anything about yet.

You're right. All we have to go on is what has happened in the past. Five hours of battery life was announced in the Keynote. And if it's anything along the lines of battery life announcements for laptops, then it will probably be less as 5 hours will be under ideal conditions.

As far as the quality of the battery, the fact of battery life is that rechargeable batteries die out over time. Until a better battery is invented, this something that we have to live with.

And rates haven't been released, but you're not going to get a $30 plan from Cingular for this. They have an indemand, exclusive device and they're going to charge what they can get for it (which will be quite a bit).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    When you say 5 hours you mean talk time dont you?

What do you think the standby time will be. I would have thought between 200 - 300 hours would be best.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

When you say 5 hours you mean talk time dont you?

What do you think the standby time will be. I would have thought between 200 - 300 hours would be best.

I would have to be somewhere around there. In his keynote, Jobs said that the battery life was 5 hours for talk-video-internet time. 14 hours for music playback.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The current smartphone plan for unlimited is $19.99. Where did you get $80 from?!!?!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron von Smiley View Post

You're right. All we have to go on is what has happened in the past. Five hours of battery life was announced in the Keynote. And if it's anything along the lines of battery life announcements for laptops, then it will probably be less as 5 hours will be under ideal conditions.

As far as the quality of the battery, the fact of battery life is that rechargeable batteries die out over time. Until a better battery is invented, this something that we have to live with.

And rates haven't been released, but you're not going to get a $30 plan from Cingular for this. They have an indemand, exclusive device and they're going to charge what they can get for it (which will be quite a bit).

I think (hoping anyways) it's more along the lines of when they announce iPod battery life, which has historically been quite accurate.

Of course, this is much more complicated than an iPod, so I'm probably wrong

I'd assume you could get at least two movies worth out of it though, and I'm VERY sure they'll be chargers for every conceivable hole/plug/outlet out there.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baron von Smiley View Post

While I think the iPhone is an amazing piece of technology, I can't help but think of the total cost of ownership of this phone. It starts with $599, and with that there's a two year contract with Cingular that you're locked into. I don't know a lot about data rates with Cingular, but I read that the cheapest plan offered runs around $80. So even if I just want to use this new iPhone as the awesome video iPod that it is, I'm stuck with a phone bill every month.

Then there's the battery. 5 hours, which includes talk time, video playback, and internet is not a lot of time. If you go on a flight and surf the internet for awhile in the airport, then watch a movie on the plane, by the time you land, your battery is dead. So either you're going to have to carry some third-party peripheral which will extend battery life, or else I'd have to carry another cell phone just to be able to use a phone. Eventually, somewhere in that two year contract, the battery is probably going to need to be replaced and that's no easy task. That will probably consist of having to send it into Apple, or take it to my nearest Cingular store where they'll crack it open and put in a new battery for a hefty price.

While the iPod was pricey when it first came out, the price tag alone is what you were paying. The iPhone has the initial sticker shock plus a monthly premium. I have a feeling that this total cost of ownership is going to be the phones undoing and that it won't really take off until it opens up and Cingular no longer has exclusive rights to the iPhone. The iPod only became successful when it was opened up to Windows user, so I don't think having it exclusively with one company is going to make it as huge a hit as everyone predicts. Plus without productivity apps, you're shutting out a major part of the smartphone market.

So total cost and Cingular exclusivity will seriously hamper this thing from being successful.

My own commentary: http://www.myilife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63