Crossplatform WoW voice chat?

dcqdcq
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey,

Three years late, I know, but my friends and I are getting into World of Warcraft.

AFAIK, WoW doesn't support in-game voice chat, only text. Is there any good way to do voice chat cross-platform? I'm on a Mac, they're using Windows.

thanks for help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    You might want to try "teamspeak".

Although its a Windows app. (ask any CouterStrike player) and you have to set up a server,

there is a mac client called "TeamSpeax", I think.

Instructions should be easy to find via Google.

Have fun!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Teamspeak and Ventrilo are the two big voice game chat apps / servers. Like tschloemer said, there is this unofficial Teamspeak client called Teamspeex which runs on Mac. Ventrilo just released a beta client for Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Thanks! I'll check em out.

(Is the server set up difficult?...Well, I guess I'll find out.)

Thanks agin.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    What type of systems are people using? All Mac? Some Mac and Some PC?

If you are using a mix of Mac and PC's then I'd consider giving teamspeak a shot. If not either will probbaly be fine. The guild I'm in used to use teamspeak and everyone (mac & pc) could use the voice chat. Then we switched to ventrilo. Soposedly, macs need a certain codec in vent, but that codec sounds horible on pc's. So it was either horible quality for some people or the mac people weren't able to talk. I don't know if I have the specifics of this correct since I started playing alot less around the time the guild made the switch. So, like I said, consider your users and choose acordingly. TeamSpeak and Ventrillo are the 2 most widely used voice chat apps for games.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Nice what realm your in?

Don't get too hooked on the game cause it's very addictive ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drazztikka View Post

Nice what realm your in?

Don't get too hooked on the game cause it's very addictive ;-)

Shadris.

Ugh. Tell me about it. I've played every night this week. It's like crack.

On the original issue with Teamspeex and/or Ventrilo... do you have to pay to set up a server? There are only 2-3 of my friends and I doing this. Paying for a whole server seems a bit overkill...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    U do crack too? ;-)

I'm in stormrage so i won't be seeing you...

I don't know how it works setting up the server yourself.

Probably a lvl 60 knows it, or ask it in the general channel...

Take a break :-)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    My buddies and I are still playing Diablo@ with my iMac G5 set up as the game server. We use skype to talk while we play.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Shadris.

Ugh. Tell me about it. I've played every night this week. It's like crack.

On the original issue with Teamspeex and/or Ventrilo... do you have to pay to set up a server? There are only 2-3 of my friends and I doing this. Paying for a whole server seems a bit overkill...

Normally you can pay for a hosted server or host it yourself. However, teamspeak doesn't have a server app for Macs... http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads I heard a while back there is another app that works with teamspeak though and they might have a server app. You'll have to look around for it as I don't remember the name, maybe something like TeamspeakX. To host either a vent or teamspeak server you'll need a static IP address, so keep that in mind.