Help me Apple fans im under attack from Nokia fanboys and need some advice

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi there, there are so many UK forums being bombarded with Nokia and SE fanboys who are claiming that theiphone sucks ect......and that th OSX is nothing compared to the Symbian and that its features are 5 years old.

Could you give me some pro tips on houw to shut them up.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Hi there, there are so many UK forums being bombarded with Nokia and SE fanboys who are claiming that theiphone sucks ect......and that th OSX is nothing compared to the Symbian and that its features are 5 years old.

Thanks

Ignoring them would hurt them the most.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Well, OS X features came from NextStep so way longer than 5 years old but this isn't a bad thing at all. If anything that means it's tried and tested.

The thing about Symbian though is that it holds the biggest market share 70%+ and it was designed to run on mobile devices. This is an advantage and a limitation in the sense that it is limited to running on these devices. OS X runs on PPC, X86 and possibly ARM depending on what's in the iphone.

The single biggest advantage running OS X has over Symbian is that it can run thousands of desktop-class applications. If Apple decide to hold back this advantage (as rumors suggest) then I don't see much advantage to the iphone at all. I'd imagine Symbian would have a smaller memory footprint too.

However, speculating over a phone that hasn't been released is pointless.

One disadvantage Symbian had was it needed two CPUs but that was fixed apparently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02...me_onechip_os/
  • Reply 3 of 8
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Considering that neither of them has gotten their hands on the iPhone yet, none of them has the ability to say it sucks, just like none of us have the ability to say it rocks.

Post a link to the forum.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Thanks

Here's a photo of a typical Symbian device:

http://nds3.nokia.com/pressphotos/pu.../l_6670_13.jpg

They're high and you needn't argue any further.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Thanks

The macworld demo was a PROTOTYPE. and the software on it may not be feature complete as it is still 6 months away from release. There has been no FCC approval and such, and I doubt that Apple showed all of their cards as far as tricks of the phone at Macworld.

I would tellthe nokia fanboys to wait till the official launch then go to a cingular store and compare a working iPhone, and nokia whatever side by side...then and only then would I put ANY stock into their bashing.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

The macworld demo was a PROTOTYPE. and the software on it may not be feature complete as it is still 6 months away from release. There has been no FCC approval and such, and I doubt that Apple showed all of their cards as far as tricks of the phone at Macworld.

I would tellthe nokia fanboys to wait till the official launch then go to a cingular store and compare a working iPhone, and nokia whatever side by side...then and only then would I put ANY stock into their bashing.

So what your saying is that there may be additional features that we have not seen yet?

Like perhaps video recording? (i hope so seeing as how nice the isight captured)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Ask the Symbian guys if they updated their virusscanner this week.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    If you're arguing with people who look at the actual iPhone UI and don't say "wow" it's basically a waste of time.

One can easily argue "wow, but I hate Cingular/at&t" or "wow, but that's too expensive" or "wow, but I prefer tactile numberpads/keyboards" or "wow, but I'll never buy a phone without a user-replacable battery" or even "wow, but the iPhone just isn't for me" or any combination thereof but if there isn't an acknowledgment of "wow" they're arguing theoretical feature lists and no consumer cares about feature lists without looking at and using the product itself. Forget about it.