Need help connecting my Imac to my LG LCD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a 37" LG flat panel and an Imac 20". I went to CompUSA and bought a mini DVI to VGA adaptor and 10' vga cables. Did I purchase the wrong thing? I noticed that when I move the mouse over to the right of my Imac, it shows up on my LCD. I dont want that to happen, I want to use my LCD as the whole monitor. Is that possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also...I noticed that if I put my Imac at the max resolution (1680x1050) it doesnt stretch on the Imac, I get blue on each side? Is that able to be corrected, or do I have to live with that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I figured out the first part. Can anyone help with the second part. I guess what Im looking for is if 1680x1050 is able to be stretched.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post

I figured out the first part. Can anyone help with the second part. I guess what Im looking for is if 1680x1050 is able to be stretched.

To switch from mirror mode to extended desktop mode, go to System Preferences --> Displays and check/uncheck the "Mirror displays" option.

Because your 37" flat panel probably only has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, the display of your iMac will have the same resolution (in mirror mode). That means that not the whole display is showing the image. I guess there is no way of avoiding this. Mirror mode needs both displays to run at the same resolution.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

To switch from mirror mode to extended desktop mode, go to System Preferences --> Displays and check/uncheck the "Mirror displays" option.

Because your 37" flat panel probably only has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, the display of your iMac will have the same resolution (in mirror mode). That means that not the whole display is showing the image. I guess there is no way of avoiding this. Mirror mode needs both displays to run at the same resolution.

I appreciate it. I figured out how to get it to mirror the Imac, I just wasnt sure about the whole resolution thing.