Chimera Nightlies.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Goodness...I just upgraded to the latest nightly (I believe it is 10/11) and goodness gracious, it is much much faster and less buggy. Text input in dialogue boxes (like the one I am typing in now) is still too slow, blah blah blah...but I swear, it's been my default browser for 3 weeks and the times I need to launch IE are growing more and more infrequent.

Anyway, download ChimeraKnight at VersionTracker and give it a whirl...it's really quite a delight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hello!

i need help! i downloaded latest version of chimeraknight... and it crashed. since then, my navigator does not load.... it says "navigator unexpectedly quit." i tried re downloading (and installing) chimera/navigator, and it still doesn't load. i deleted all the files that containted "chimera" or "navigator" and re installed chimera, but it still said "unexpectedly quit." it used to be my main brower now i am back to explorer... thank you for any help... have a great day!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    The 10-11 nightly build is by far the best build of Chimera, ever. It's incredibly stable. It's incredibly fast. It has crashed on me one single time, while before, Chimera always had trouble with plug-ins (mostly Flash) and crashed several times a day.

ProtoDAda: Have a look at the Chimera discussion boards at <a href="http://chimera.eternaltedium.com/"; target="_blank">http://chimera.eternaltedium.com/</a>; . There are many possible causes for your problem. Most of them have been explained there before. The "Bugs & Troubleshooting" and "Nightly Builds" fora should be the most helpful. My guess is that your problem is related to the RealOne Player plug-in.

It's funny. These days I post in the Chimera Forum more often than on AppleInsider.

Escher

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Hi,

I had the same quiting on startup problem as well. Found out it is the darn realplayer plugins. They are in /Library/Internet Plugins (not your home directory) just pull the realplayer plugins out, and start it up. It should work fine. Then you can put the plugins back in the folder.

Matt

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: mbezzo ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 15
    hello!

thank you escher and matt.... i did what matt wrote, and navigator runs now and it's great... thank you again and have a fantastic week!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    You're welcome, ProtoDAda. Where does your login name come from? Does it stand for prototype d'Adam, i.e. prototype of Adam?

BTW: The 10-13 build of Chimera is supposed to fix the problem with the RealOne player. I never experienced that problem, however, so I can't verify this.

Escher

[ 10-13-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hello!

way off the subject now... but it was an exhibition at either museum of modern art in new york or whitney (i think early 90's). it was called "proto-dada" and was an exhibition relating to the beginning of dada movement... it was quite good... and i always liked how it sounds... "proto-dada"

:-)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Confirmed: latest Chimera builds have solved the problems with the RealPlayer plugins.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I installed the latest nightly build and now I am unable to use Chimera all together. I uninstalled and than reinstalled and still no go. What can I do to fix this.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by BrianMacOS:

<strong>I installed the latest nightly build and now I am unable to use Chimera all together. I uninstalled and than reinstalled and still no go. What can I do to fix this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You need to be a lot more clear on your problem.

Does it say it's already running?

Does it crash during launch?

Did you try and clean your profile?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by ProtoDAda:

<strong>way off the subject now... but it was an exhibition at either museum of modern art in new york or whitney (i think early 90's). it was called "proto-dada" and was an exhibition relating to the beginning of dada movement... it was quite good... and i always liked how it sounds... "proto-dada"</strong><hr></blockquote>

[Completely off topic, but interesting nonetheless.]

Ah. Good old Dadaism. I didn't see that exhibit, but think it's a great name.

According to one account, the name "Dada" originated in my hometown (Zurich, Switzerland). A bunch of early members of the movement were sitting outside at Café Odéon in downtown Zurich. As they were chatting away, a thief stole a lady's purse. As a policeman was chasing the thief, the artists pointed out the thief, shouting "Da, da!" ("There, there!" in German). The name stuck. Other accounts put the origin of the name Dada in Paris. You be the judge.

Escher

[ 10-14-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 15
    FYI: If you're having trouble downloading the latest nightly build from the latest-trunk directory, try the following directory, and download from directory for today's date:

<a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/nightly/"; target="_blank">http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/nightly/</a>;

Note that there have been problems with the Mozilla FTP server over the past few days. If you've been seeing a backup from 10-10, you're not hallucinating.

Again, if you have problems running Chimera, check out the Chimera Forum for discussion and many answers. The "Bugs & Troubleshooting" and "nightly Builds" fora are the most helpful.

<a href="http://chimera.eternaltedium.com/"; target="_blank">http://chimera.eternaltedium.com/</a>;

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Chimera is way too unstable for me

It crashes CONSTANTLY. I still start using it and browse until it crashes. Will crash on pages like CNN, Apple trailer site, or heck, any site really. Usually, the more complex, the worse.

Then, If I really need stability I go to Mozilla 1.1. Its like browsing in molasses after using Chimera, but it dont give me no problems.

Hope Chimera gets more stable, like 0.5.0 official release... that was more stable than the last few I've used
  • Reply 13 of 15
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Chimera rarely crashes for me. A few days ago it was crashing while going to AI and mets.com but that's not happening anymore and it isn't crashing on any sites.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I've been logging my crashes over the last week, versus a week before that on IE.

4 for IE.

5 for Chimera.

So i don't see as they're all that different in terms of stability.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Are the flash incompatibilities in Chimera fixed yet? in the one I've got at the moment

-flash movies flicker when loading or scrolling

-you can't drag flash elements because it drags the whole movie like an image

Andrew