Apple Mac OS X download site redone, leopard hints?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Light gray gradients all around

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I don't know about the gradients, but all the type inside images is set in Helvetica, which also happens to be the system font on the iPhone. I'll hazard a guess that Helvetica will be the system font in Leopard.

(It's interesting to note that Helvetica was also the system font in NeXTSTEP.)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heady View Post

I don't know about the gradients, but all the type inside images is set in Helvetica, which also happens to be the system font on the iPhone. I'll hazard a guess that Helvetica will be the system font in Leopard.

(It's interesting to note that Helvetica was also the system font in NeXTSTEP.)

Here's another hint: Open Dashboard. Which typeface do you see on your Weather widget? Stocks? Calendar? Flight Tracker?

Note that Dashboard was introduced roughly around the same time when iPhone was being designed...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Proof that Leopard will feature a new, more reserved metal UI:

The bar on the apple.com/macosx website has always featured the predominant UI feature of the upcoming version of OSX.

Look at the top bar in the Jaguar days:

http://web.archive.org/web/200208200...le.com/macosx/

And when Panther arrives:

http://web.archive.org/web/200405272...le.com/macosx/

And now:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

I am a bit surprised that it is not a "black glass" bar, as everyone seems to think that this will be the new UI element in Leopard. But oh well..
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Oh man, I miss how everything in my OS was furry in Jaguar

• Reply 5 of 18
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Helveltica? Blech......

Im a fan of Avenir
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Still wish they would have more sub-categories. If you go to the Games category, you will see sub-categories at the top. But if I go to Icons, Screensavers,etc. I don't. Would be nice to be able to browse just icons for example.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    <slight threadjack>They update the Download page but still have a link to Windows Media Player for Mac OS X 9.0?</slight threadjack>

• Reply 8 of 18
    what's the current system font? lke the font in the menu bar and stuff?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

what's the current system font? lke the font in the menu bar and stuff?

Lucida Grande.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Well said.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'm guessing it will be a lot cleaner and consistent than the current GUI flavour. Something fresh and elegant.

The iPhone and Leopard preview pages seem to give the clues here.

We don't have that long to wait?

Another 3 months? (I can't wait. It's THE product I'm waiting for...)

Do we have a countdown thread?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Man, I liked all that fur...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    HELVETICA - PLEASE GOD NO!

I'm sick fed up of the numerous different Helevtica cuts that designers use conflicting with the Helvetica fonts that are already used in the system. Before you know it you have garbled text all over the screen.

The system should use an exclusive system font that isn't made available to the user. Using Helvetica is a recipe for disaster.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

HELVETICA - PLEASE GOD NO!

I'm sick fed up of the numerous different Helevtica cuts that designers use conflicting with the Helvetica fonts that are already used in the system. Before you know it you have garbled text all over the screen.

The system should use an exclusive system font that isn't made available to the user. Using Helvetica is a recipe for disaster.

I think you're a little confused...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Helvetica is the best font for system fonts. It's great for condensed spaces such as columns with limited space from which to view a long files name with.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    i think all the apps will look like mail. look at this picture

if you look closely, you can see that iChat's buddly list is now in the same style as mail. hmmm..
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Exactly the reason why I don't expect a new GUI in leopard. Why bother making iCal, (there's a screenshot of this floating around) Preview, and iChat match mail if you're just going to replace it with a new look? And why bother vectorizing Aqua for resolution independence? I think we can expect that the Finder and Safari will lose their brushed metal, and iLife will look like iTunes, but that's about it.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Exactly the reason why I don't expect a new GUI in leopard. Why bother making iCal, (there's a screenshot of this floating around) Preview, and iChat match mail if you're just going to replace it with a new look? And why bother vectorizing Aqua for resolution independence? I think we can expect that the Finder and Safari will lose their brushed metal, and iLife will look like iTunes, but that's about it.

that may be it for the GUI, but leopard has to be a showstopper just like the iPhone. Apple is ready to crush and grind Vista into the ground. Steve Jobs loves to crush the competition and that is what has kept apple ahead of the game. that being said, i think we will definetly see surprises. the GUI could end up being totally different. remember when OS X first came out/ was announced in 2000? steve introduced the brand new top secret Aqua at MWSF, way after the first betas sent to devs. this could be the same thing. whatever comes though, be prepared to be blown away.