HELP!!!! why am i losing my music???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok...i have all my music stored on an external hard drive and i set my itunes to find my music at the external harddrive (externalHD:itunes)....i named the folder where i store all my music "itunes". anyway, i went from listening to a whole cd that i had a couple of days ago that was on my external harddrive.....only to find that its no longer on my computer. what could be the problem? i have 4200 songs on itunes and i dont want to lose anything at all. all my music is stored in my external harddrive....it just seems that its getting deleted or erased for some odd reason 'cause im not doing it myself. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It sounds to me like a Trojan Horse or Worm. Is this drive ever connected to a Windows machine?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I sometimes have the same problem. Often, hitting the "refresh" (I think that's what it is called -- not at the mac right now) key will help. It's not lost, it just isn't seen by iTunes. It is probably still in the library, and just needs to be reconnected.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I had a problem like this in the past, too. I don't know if you're Mac or Windows-- I'm Mac. For me, the issue was firewire related, I think. I also thought that changing or adding info like album art or lyrics to a song seemed to increase the likelihood of it getting corrupted or lost. Not sure, though.

Instead of dealing with it anymore, I upgraded my internal hard drive and only use the external as a backup. Since then, no problems.

The only thing I can suggest is to back up fairly often. External drives are temperamental for some with iTunes. I wish I knew why...

Not exactly the greatest of answers. Sorry. \
  • Reply 4 of 6
    im using a macbook. and my external has never been used on a pc. i loaded all my songs on my external because i wanted to save up space in my internal and to also hope that my computer would run a little faster if it was less crowded. you're saying i should store all my songs on my internal as well???
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I can't say that's what you "should" do, but that's been the only thing that has worked for me. Not the best of news, I guess. I do seem to have better luck with USB2 than firewire, though-- is that an option?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Strange.. Make sure the permissions are right on that drive and folder (get info, make yourself the owner with read / write access) to make sure itunes has no problem accessing them.. Other than that, try removing your itunes plist file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.itunes.plist)

and then goign into your itunes preferences, specifying your music folder under sharing i think, and then seeing if that works..