Concerning multi-touch...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Concerning multi-touch...

...didn't Apple just buy Fingerworks a few months/years ago?

http://www.fingerworks.com/index.html

So no real innovation on Apples part here, huh!?

And remember Fingerworks Gesturepads (e.g. the "iGesture) were already available for the mac. So in some way this iPhone exclusive multi-touch thingy is sort of a step backwards for mac users.

We should long have been able to replace our laptop keybords by multi-touch gesture pads. I certainly was hoping for the Intel-switch to wrap all that up in an nice package: new chips, gesture pads and voice recognition (which would be the real deal on an operating system level - by the way).

Well, lets see in how many tiny steps and pieces apple is going to SELL this stuff to us. I haven't seen a real innovation from Apple for a long time. And - talking of innovation, why is no one ever counting the Newton in?

There is simply nothing even close to 1984.

Just my 2ct.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    No innovation since 1984, huh? Have you been in seclusion?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tschloemer View Post

And - talking of innovation, why is no one ever counting the Newton in?

Hm, gee, let me think, why could it be?

?it failed?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wrote: "nothing even close to 1984."

Can you see the difference between this and "no innovation"?

Apple dropped the Newton Technology as part of the Microsoft/Apple deal and because Steve reportedly didn't like it. As part of the deal Apple had to drop the Newton development to make way for Windows CE. They also started shipping Macs with IE preinstalled and in return Microsoft invested in Apple. At least thatm is the background info you find on this.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Apple dropped the Newton Technology as part of the Microsoft/Apple deal and because Steve reportedly didn't like it.

Apple dropped Newton because it didn't make money. Microsoft had nilch to do with it, and Steve's personal feelings against Sculley may have played a role, but a minor one compared to, again, the bare fact that Newton didn't make money. At a time when Apple needed renovation, Newton just didn't fit into the concept.

Quote:

As part of the deal Apple had to drop the Newton development to make way for Windows CE.

This is pure conjecture on your part and the first time I'm hearing this. I'm going to assume you either made it up and/or have no reasonable sources on this.

Quote:

They also started shipping Macs with IE preinstalled and in return Microsoft invested in Apple.

Yes, IE became the default browser as part of the deal. However, the deal was extended even when Apple moved to their own browser, Safari.

Microsoft did make an investment in Apple, but it was not only comparably minor; it also gave them zero influence on the company. At a time when Apple had about 3 billion in cash, Microsoft invested $150 million in non-voting stock. Not as relevant as some of the media led people to believe.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Maybe we are losing sight of the question about innovation.

And maybe we have a different view on innovation as well.

Success in a market is (in my view) not a good way to determine whether a product is innovating or not. There are always some decisions (for business or political reasons) to pull innovating products of the market, that have nothing to do with technological quality. (Does EV1 ring a bell?)

I still consider the Newton an innovation.

You might want to read this article:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,...9282366,00.htm

or google for any number of similar articles yourself.

Anyway, I certainly have not time to make things up.

I read about the EOL of Newton back at the time and amongst some other reasons

Microsofts investment was mentioned as well. Shall I be able to find the article again, I will post it here.

However you are right that a quick search on the web did not reveal a viable source for what I stated before!!!

Do you have some 1on1 experience with the Newton productline?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    So in order to start the discussion about MultiTouch again,

what do you think about it?

shouldn't it be a mac centric technology?

How often did you feel the need to magnify or shrink something on the display of your mobile ? (Is there any other gesture announced?)

In comparison, how often do you move, copy, duplicate, rotate, shrink, flip, magnify, transform in any way, etc. something on your mac?

Wouldn't the technology be more useful, were it applied as an input device to a mac?

Is the company that I linked above really the origin of apples MultiTouch?

Does anyone happen to have some experience with the Technology (iGesture)?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

So in order to start the discussion about MultiTouch again,In comparison, how often do you move, copy, duplicate, rotate, shrink, flip, magnify, transform in any way, etc. something on your mac?

Wouldn't the technology be more useful, were it applied as an input device to a mac?

Surely it woult be very useful. I think it will be on the mac in the forseeable future. There's only one problem: Millions and millions of Macs are not equipped with a corresponding input device (touchscreen). How would you handle the input on a desktop Mac? Two mice?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    rather not

I think just as before with the igesture, a tablet (NO, NOT TABLET MAC!)

like those from Wacom, that do not require a stylus, but are MultiTouch enabled would be sufficient. Connect it via usb, wireless usb or bluetooth, make it A4 an print a keyboard on it: voila.

goodbye, mouse and keyboard
  • Reply 9 of 10
    This has been raised on another thread. Have you looked around AI?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Thanx, Bergermeister.

nope, I didn't see your thread before, but thank you for the hint.

So, do you too have the feeling, that Apple is selling us the technology from Fingerworks,

which happend to be called MultiTouch and which should rather be used with the mac, than a mobile phone?